+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Fall tapping

To my surprise I had a small run last night. It really wasn't enough to do a boil, but I didn't want to let it set so I boiled it. I actually finished a small batch of syrup, so I've made my first syrup of the season......Yeah! It was med. to dark and had a rich good taste, If all my fall syrup is like this I will be a happy camper. Over the weekend should be my best chance for a real run.

If those CV1s are still running in April, I will be shocked this year as warm as it is. Weather holds like this into January as they say, they may not hardly run in March.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    If those CV1s are still running in April, I will be shocked this year as warm as it is. Weather holds like this into January as they say, they may not hardly run in March.
    Just curious when do you tap Brandon?
    Jared

Usually Feb 1st to 10th. Last year we tapped first week of February and made 12% crop 7th to 10th. Looked like a great start and then bottom fell out. Went 23 days with no sap and lots of below zero temps and 4' of snow. Normal end of season is around 21st of March for us and March went from too cold to too warm. I have boiled in April the last 3 years which is great for being this far south. New taps were running 1 to 2 weeks after CV2s quit last year. Made me a complete UNbeliever in them and left prob 20% of tips in the tree.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Pdr- Ive done some fall tapping here in northeastern pa and what I found is that I would get about six weeks run time on a tap. That's with new drops and taps. When I fall tapped I tapped first of November basically as soon as leaves off. they would run November and December and that's that. No good in spring. My conclusion is that I get six weeks of sap run time. Not six calendar days. Ive always tapped first part of January and have never had a year when they quit too soon so that's when I do it now. I feel if the taps run two weeks and it freezes up for next 100 years I still have 4 weeks run time when it thaws out. I do think my January taps may run some less at end but I think I make out better tapping early getting things running right and being sure not to miss anything. Theron

I meant not six weeks calander days. Theron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213