+ Reply to Thread

Thread: temp switch

Default temp switch

Will a White Rogers 1687-9 work to control vacuum pump start and stop?
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

I have no idea about that. I think a few guys have talked about temp controls on here before. I had a very good luck with a simple 110v timer. I just checked the hourly forecast and set the timer to come on 1 hour before I thought the sap would start to flow. Maybe the vacuum ran a little when not needed and maybe it turned on a little late, but I never had one problem all season last season. Worked every day and I never checked it until I got home from work. This year I have a bigger pump and I am planning on using the same timer to split the 220v.

It looks as if it will. Good to -30 and 180 and is a spdt switch so you will be able to turn on/off at set temp. adjustable differential to 3 degrees to eliminate the unit cycling when the days starts sun then clouds up for an hour and then sunny again. Be sure it is not in direct sun light as this will give erroneous readings as would the north side of a building. A well ventilated covering is recommended. Check your location the next time you have a frost. You will see that around buildings no frost but away or in open fields very frosty. Loacation will be very important. pm if you need help wiring it.

Good Luck!

I am going to run an omron temp controller this year. My problem is I have to uncap my vacuum before I shut down or the vacuum from the bush spins the pump backward. How do I get around this problem?
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabe1972 View Post
    I am going to run an omron temp controller this year. My problem is I have to uncap my vacuum before I shut down or the vacuum from the bush spins the pump backward. How do I get around this problem?
    I had this problem last year and added a check valve so that the vacuum in the lines would close the valve and not spin the pump backwards
    Mike
    1000 taps on vac
    Delaval 78 vac pump
    rebuilt Vermont arch
    Smoky lake maple custom pans
    4 x 11 reverse flow
    Smoky Lake auto-draw
    Smoky lake 2x4 finisher
    wes fab short bank filter press
    600 gallon Zero tank and 4 cage tanks
    650 gallon surge tank
    Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
    https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup?ref=hl

Thanks that's easy why didn't I think of that
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Homebuilt filter press
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater

Get a swing gate check valve...the other...spring check, reduce the vacuum flow to much. Some are only half the pipe opening. Gates are rather cheap on ebay. You can always buy an oversized gate valve and reducers to get to your pipe size if you are concerned about the hole size.
    A choke point or reducer that close to the pump is a big issue so plan wisely.

I check on ebay. Ben did you see my other post identify this on here. I had a pump dropped off that I am trying to identify and you seem the be the pump guru on here. Thanks Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Homebuilt filter press
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater

Most any thermo switch will do as long as it will operate at the temp you want to close/open the switch at. Check to see what amperage the motor is and what the switch unit is rated for. If the pump is higher then you can use a relay that is rated for the amps of the motor.
    Timers are a good idea and work great if you have a weather man that is correct. Mine is wrong more times than not! So just start the pump a little early to get things going.
    It wont belong and we will be able to view or equipment on our phones with an internet camera. You can do it know but it is too pricey for me. I would have to run a repeater to get the signal to the house and the dish.
    Just think, you could, in a few years, be able to check on your pump, tank levels, and RO while at your real job. I can see it now..."honey can you go down and start the RO since the collection tank is nearly full." I bought her a shirt that says: "Sure, I can drop what I am doing to take care of your problem." Since that is what she does all the time for the boys and me, several times a day. LOL
    Really sucks when she is mad at me...I can only get half as much done in a day; but after 30 years together I have learned how to limit those days.

+ Reply to Thread