+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastic liner for galvanized barrels?

Default Plastic liner for galvanized barrels?

Does (or could) a company manufacture food-grade plastic bags big/tough enough for 30, 40 or 55 gal. galvanized drums? I don't see why such a bag couldn't be rolled up and inserted through the top bung with enough left sticking out to be twisted, folded, zip-tied and stuffed inside once the barrel is full. Screw the cap on and the syrup would be ready for transport to the buyers and packers. When the bag is empty, just pull it out and properly dispose of it. Wouldn't even have to wash out the barrel. At maybe a buck apiece, it sure beats the heck out of a $200+ outlay for stainless steel. Just a thought.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

A bag thick enough to not rupture due to movement or get punctured probably would not fit into the bung very easily. Very likely that in at least some barrels, there would be some movement of the bag so that you wouldn't be able to find the end again.

CDL at one time sold plastic barrels made for use with a plastic liner (large opening in the top). With the right equipment, you could suction out the syrup. Although they had some distinct advantages, they didn't really seem to catch on....at least around here. Maybe others here have more experience and could comment on them.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I looked into plastic liners last year. They are available and if I remember are about $18 each. They were only designed for open top barrels because they are quite thick and have fused in bungs.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I have seen/ worked with the plastic bag barrel liners and they are very easy to use but only made for open top barrels. I even have some that go in 5gal buckets and they work awesome, just like their big brother 30gal ones and up from what Ive seen.
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

+ Reply to Thread