+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Tubing Rookie?

Default Tips for Tubing Rookie?

This will be my fifth season. I have inventoried at least 30 maples on my property. They are mostly reds with modest production. Last season I tapped 22 of them with antique taps and buckets. That’s all I have. This season I plan to tap more. Several of my trees are grouped together. I have one set of four big trees that all touch at the base and one set of three like that too. Rather than buy more antique equipment, I bought some 5/16 tubing, plastic taps, tees, and food grade 5gal buckets. My plan is to tap a few of the clustered trees with plastic rather than metal hanging buckets and move the hanging buckets to the more remote single trees. I don’t plan to run a main line, or even laterals. My plan is to tap the grouped trees with plastic, tee them together and drop right down to a 5gal. bucket. On a few of the very large single more remote trees, I may put a plastic tap above the metal tap/bucket as a second tap, with a drop right into the metal bucket as a way to get two taps in the same tree. Does this all sound reasonable? Any tips, warnings, or suggestions for my plan?
    2017 - 5th season
    22 old fashioned metal taps and buckets
    12 on gravity / tubing
    17 year old willing to collect in rain, sleet, or snow
    30 gal blue barrel for sap storage
    2 full size steam table pan block arch with two propane burners & digital thermometers
    10x10 sugar house and brewery

This all sounds very reasonable. I did what you are describing for many years when I still used buckets. I used to put my big trees into a 5 gallon bucket. All I can suggest is replace your plastic taps yearly as that will help maximize your sap flow from year to year.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Sounds very reasonable..just be aware that reds are notoriously Fickle on gravity..to get good consistent production you need them on vacuum..
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Sapling, Yes and NO What I have found when I did it

You want a lid but not one you have to pry off every time so get the blue lids from Loews they snap on and off with one hand. Bring your sap lines/lateral in a hole on the side just under the lid. Leave the hole a little sloppy and use Zip ties o secure the tube by putting the tie on the inside of the tube so it cant pull out Dont let the tube hang down into the bucket more than an inch or two......What the tree giveth the tree will taketh away so dont let it get sucked back into the tree. If you put a hole in the top of the lid and it rains or snow melts on the lid it will contaminate the sap thru the hole. Do not put one tap above another NOPE. If you feel the tree can support having 1-2-3- taps space them out in a pattern that will work next year and every year after.

Putting 3 taps with T's on one line into the bucket will be fine and it is called a leteral

What I do on a couple that I have on 5gal buckets I drill a hole on the side that is tight just to be able to force the tubing in 2-3" and just put a rock on top to hold lid,then when u go to dump bucket the tube doesn't pull out ,or fall out on that big run day,just how I do it
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

Thank you all for your input and encouragement. Some good suggestions here. Looks like I have a plan. Should be able to go from 22 taps to about 32 with this plan!
    2017 - 5th season
    22 old fashioned metal taps and buckets
    12 on gravity / tubing
    17 year old willing to collect in rain, sleet, or snow
    30 gal blue barrel for sap storage
    2 full size steam table pan block arch with two propane burners & digital thermometers
    10x10 sugar house and brewery

I did similar to what Haynes Forest Products said, except I used spring clamps to hold the tubing in. When I did that, I was collecting in 5 Gal cooking oil jugs. I then made a hole in a cap that screwed on the top and put the spring clamp on the tubing. Then I had extra caps and I just unscrewed the cap, swapped the jug and screwed the cap with the tubing attached to the next jug.
    At that time I had 70 taps and I ran tubing for 2-3 taps into a jug. The jugs were free at restaurants but I had to clean the oil out that was left in. I think my wife didn't need to buy cooking oil for about 2-3 years back then.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I did similar to what Haynes Forest Products said, except I used spring clamps to hold the tubing in. When I did that, I was collecting in 5 Gal cooking oil jugs. I then made a hole in a cap that screwed on the top and put the spring clamp on the tubing. Then I had extra caps and I just unscrewed the cap, swapped the jug and screwed the cap with the tubing attached to the next jug.
    At that time I had 70 taps and I ran tubing for 2-3 taps into a jug. The jugs were free at restaurants but I had to clean the oil out that was left in. I think my wife didn't need to buy cooking oil for about 2-3 years back then.
    Probably cut down on defoamer usage as well!
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

so this is my second year with 3/16 and I walked my lines and found what I think might be squirrel chews in some of the sections between tees...my questions are:

A) since I don't know if the chewing went all the way thru, whats the best way to check for leaks? I figured to replace my tees and spouts when tapping and to let the lines flush for a couple of days to wash out bugs/shavings/etc.

2) if they are chewed to leaking, would I just replace the sections between tees or the whole run?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    so this is my second year with 3/16 and I walked my lines and found what I think might be squirrel chews in some of the sections between tees...my questions are:

A) since I don't know if the chewing went all the way thru, whats the best way to check for leaks? I figured to replace my tees and spouts when tapping and to let the lines flush for a couple of days to wash out bugs/shavings/etc.

2) if they are chewed to leaking, would I just replace the sections between tees or the whole run?
    I'm new at tubing also, but I'd use these

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/ipc...bing_fittings/

Good luck this year

BMB
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"