+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gearing up for the upcoming season

Default gearing up for the upcoming season

Hello everybody, i am new to this, and the up coming season will be my first in collection, and cooking down sap to produce syrup. I was just wondering if i am headed in the right direction in the way of equipment needed. I will be doing this as a hobby and hope to end up with about 5 gallons of syrup. So far i have identified and marked about 30 sugar maples with an average diameter of 15" does this seem like enough to make 5 gallons? And as for gear i have 30 taps with drop lines, i have 10 5 gallon food grade buckets with leaktite lids, and i have been saving my empty milk jugs. I have also been splitting ash wood, and groing my woodpile for the sap evaporating. I am planning on making an "evaporator" out of cinder blocks, and placing a grill grate over the top. I then plan to place steam table pans filled with sap over the fire to evaporate. Does this sound good as a first timer with limited funds? If you have any tips or corrective coridisism please dont hesitate! Thank you for your time!

Where r u at in pa I'm from Bradford co.if u call me maybe I help u out my no. Is 1 570 529 3350 name is ray
    Bixby's Maple Syrup

Welcome aboard..I think you have a good start from an equipment standpoint. Couple of suggestions and things to consider. Wwhen I first started I also used a block arch like you are planning, I did have some problems with soot landing into the boiling sap. This was mostly because my pans were not sitting flush with the blocks because of gaps due to the uneveness and cracks of the blocks. If I were to be doing it over again I would have bought a fireproof gasket like the kind that goes around a wood stove door to keep ash in. 5 Gallons might be a little much to expect from 30 trees, but you should be close. Just make sure that you keep the sap cold if you cannot boil right away and have a great time! If you are at 30 taps this year I guarantee to will be at 75 by next year, you will become addicted. Good luck,
    -Dave
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

I just started last year and tapped about 45 trees..all sugars. I made 16 1/2 gallons of syrup so I think you should be able to make 5 gallons on 30 trees. You need at least 4 square feet of boiler surface to handle that many trees. 30 trees will produce 45 gallons of sap on a good day. 4 square feet will boil about 4 gallons an hour so you would have about 11 hours of boiling to handle that much sap. Gallon jugs work well for sap collection. Make sure you buy a syrup hydrometer if you can afford it. That's really the only way to tell if the syrup is finished. I have a small evaporator but I finished everything on the kitchen stove and you will probably have to do the same. You will also want to filter the syrup. The filters can be pretty expensive, but one lady on the forum uses a jelly strainer and she claims it works well. I have a link here for a jelly filter or Amazon for about $10. http://www.canningpantry.com/jellystrainer.html You can can the syrup in regular canning jars and they actually look pretty nice.

Its funny that you mentioned the hydrometer, i just got mine in the mail today thru amazon, only thing is they packaged it terribly and i received it shattered!

Get a replacement. Ask for and pay for extra packaging. If it is wrapped in bubble wrap and in a sturdy enough box it will arrive in good condition. A better option might be to pick one up at a dealer in your area.
    A rule of thumb in an average year on gravity buckets is 1 qt/tap in finished syrup. This means you lose no sap from undersized jugs or spills. You might get a large portion on that what you describe if you can keep up with the sap flow.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Better yet, buy one locally and support another local maple business.
    I would get 2 or 3. In reality they are the cheapest yet most relied upon piece of equipment. Inevitably you will break one or the paper will slide and be inaccurate.

And dont just drop the hydrometer into the syrup your testing cause if its thin it will go all the way to the bottom of the container and smash on the bottom! (At least I heard this can happen)

Do you know where in northeast PA i might be able to find a hydrometer? If not i will just order from mapleguys, I'm sure unlike amazon they will correctly package a hydrometer.
    Last edited by frontiersman1985; 07-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.

There are two guys in Bradford County. Rolson Brothers in Troy and Don Russell in Rome PA.
    Bixby's Maple Syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast