+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspen, Popple, Poplar or whatever you call it. Best use for it?

I saw a a lot of aspen and cottonwood for framing lumber and sheeting. If its there then use it, cull wood can be burned. There used to be a market for aspen veneer,not sure but used to be a mill in whitehall Ny that made plywood. There used to be an ad in the Northern Logger looking for aspen in southern Adirondacks.
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

theres not much to aspen, poplar, it seems to soak up moisture like a sponge. but I do mix in with other wood. Kinda similar to bass wood work pretty good in the evap when VERY dry and a hot fire. not too good in the woodstove burns too quick and leaves no coals good for chilly mornings in the fall and spring, enough to take the chill out then shut r down!!! I hear it can be good for flooring with a thick seal but its pretty soft so maybe good for a low traffic area maybe.... just thinking
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

The neighbors have been cutting the quaking aspen/popple for years for barn siding, so we started a few years ago for coops. as long as it isn't exposed to constant water, it seems to be pretty durable. Many of our larger poplar >20 in have some heartrot on the botton section. Nail it up wet is the advice I've gotten.

I have heard the same advice, fasten it when it is green. At this point we are planning on milling the good quality logs for siding the sugarhouse board and batten. We'll be using some of it for sugar wood as well.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Well, the logs are piled and the mill will be coming in the next couple weeks. Not all popple in the pile, but most of it is.

SawLogsSmall.jpg
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

We have been using poplar for interior trim for a few years with good success. I have seen it used as exterior siding a few times and it looked good several years later. The only issue I saw was where rain splashed up near the ground and there was algae and mildew growing well on the north side.
    My guess is you'll out grow the sugarhouse long before the poplar wears out.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Even though I have a bandsaw mill, I mostly use poplar for sugar wood and would not saw it unless someone if paying me to custom saw.

I've tried to saw boards out of poplar (quaking aspen) but they seem to warp and are harder to nail and seem to split. my neighbor has used it successfully for interior trim and furniture.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

General Stark has it right on the genus and species.
    Tulip poplular is not a popular at all but a lirodendron. Common names are realitively useless when a discussion that covers such a wide geographical area is talked about. Latin names are the only thing to use.
    Here in the midwest-Minnesota/Wisconsin popular tremuloides and populus grandidentata (sawtooth aspen)as well as populus Deltoides (Eastern cottonwood) are all used for lumber in varying sitituations.
    as long as it is kept dry it will last for a very long time.
    The inside of my sauna I did thirty years ago in quaking aspen and it is perfect to this day. My deer hunting shack is 40 years old made from quaking aspen logs and is as solid as the day we built it.
    As firewood on the farm it burn fairly fast and is not the best wood for home heating but 80% of the wood we burned on the farm was popular.
    In the arch it would make a nice hot fire.
    Woodsman
    Last edited by lastwoodsman; 08-30-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

lpakiz Guest

Here in our area in Wisconsin, "popple" has a reputation as one of the toughest pieces of lumber you can get. You can about bend it double and it won't break. Also known to "hold" a nail very tight. Prone to dry crooked and/or warp.
    A fella a few miles from here built a cabin using popple logs stood vertically, like and old west fort. It is on a slab, and I wouldn't doubt the butts are elevated just a bit off the cement. I cut a bunch when we built the house in 76 and I do not recommend it for studs. Maybe rafters and sheeting boards. Like has been said, nail it together green?

Part of a rhyme that I remember from childhood about trees and their properties went something like this, when the poplar was "talking:"

"Though my cousin Oak be strong and stout, keep me DRY and I'll last him out!"

It was a very old rhyme long before I was born.

Just my two cents. What poplar I've dried, and kept dry, never any sign of decay.
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast