+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aspen, Popple, Poplar or whatever you call it. Best use for it?

The **** pile got bigger. Now there is more quaking aspen, some hemlock and some veneer ash. We will saw it and use it all. Skeptics be ****ed.

Oh and, I'm not talking about Tulip Poplar. This is Quaking Aspen and I don't care what anyone says we will mill it, and screw it on for siding.
    Sawlogs3small.jpg
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by lastwoodsman View Post
    General Stark has it right on the genus and species.
    Tulip poplular is not a popular at all but a lirodendron. Common names are realitively useless when a discussion that covers such a wide geographical area is talked about. Latin names are the only thing to use.
    Here in the midwest-Minnesota/Wisconsin popular tremuloides and populus grandidentata (sawtooth aspen)as well as populus Deltoides (Eastern cottonwood) are all used for lumber in varying sitituations.
    as long as it is kept dry it will last for a very long time.
    The inside of my sauna I did thirty years ago in quaking aspen and it is perfect to this day. My deer hunting shack is 40 years old made from quaking aspen logs and is as solid as the day we built it.
    As firewood on the farm it burn fairly fast and is not the best wood for home heating but 80% of the wood we burned on the farm was popular.
    In the arch it would make a nice hot fire.
    Woodsman
    I just met someone that told me that Scandanavians use Aspen for sauna interiors. I am going to try this as I have more Aspen than I know what to do with(as you can see by the photo) and no cedar.
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 08-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Quote Originally Posted by PerryW View Post
    Even though I have a bandsaw mill, I mostly use poplar for sugar wood and would not saw it unless someone if paying me to custom saw.

I've tried to saw boards out of poplar (quaking aspen) but they seem to warp and are harder to nail and seem to split. my neighbor has used it successfully for interior trim and furniture.
    This is why you should use screws and put it up green as the old timers tell me. I'll use stainless screws as I can take them out and use them again with more popple siding. Sort of like ss mainline fittings.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

We made a good dent in the log pile last weekend and I now have about 1000 bd ft. of Aspen (Populus Grandidentata) (1x12,1x10,1x8,1x6) and about 500 bd. ft of Hemlock (4x4,2x6,1x6).

I am amazed by the quality of the aspen and we have many more logs still left to saw. We will definitely be using lots of it for the trim and other interior features in our future house.

sawmill4.jpg
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

I have a sawmill too and have used aspen for several building projects. I made a solar kiln for drying boards, almost entirely from aspen. As long as it's not in direct contact with the ground, and you nail it up green, it makes good lumber.

Here in northern New York, we don't have Tulip Poplar, only four or five types of the less useful stuff. The local sawyers cut all they can find for pallets and 3x3 shipping cribs.

forget the popple, I just side the sugarhouse up real quick with this pine I just sawed!.

wide pine.jpg
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryW View Post
    forget the popple, I just side the sugarhouse up real quick with this pine I just sawed!.

Attachment 8001
    I would gladly take that pine off your hands. Unfortunately we have no pine on our property. Almost all hardwoods with a few nice big hemlocks we will be taking down for timbers for our house.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

We have used popple (big tooth aspen) on several projects, framing lumber, sheathing, timbers, flooring and cabinets with mixed results. We did a timber frame for the sugarhouse with a few popple timbers and some of them bowed pretty good. You are much better off nailing it green. It was tempting to use since we had so much of it and a mill to saw it. We ended up selling most of it for pulp and using the pine and spruce/fir for building materials. I would not use it again for any cabinet work. The reality is with all the work that goes into cutting trees, sawing, stacking...you might as well use the species with less issues if you have it. I was thinking of building a little log cabin with popple thinking that the weight of the logs would ward off the bending.
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123