+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Exploding" logs on the log splitter

Default "Exploding" logs on the log splitter

I thought I would share a video I did with my son having fun with some logs on our manual log splitter. I like to use it in the sugar house for logs that I want to make smaller so they burn better. Some times the pressure builds up and the log splits explosively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldjTYKdtWw

We always know it's going to be a good one if it takes a few cranks after it gets tight and then "BAM"...
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

That is why my legs look like I've been in some sort of Muay Thai kickboxing match after we split our wood for the season! When they don't start to slowly split you get out of the way quickly!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I would try to put a sharper edge on the wedge. I spit a lot of wood and they rarely pop out of the splitter like that.

I have had that happen but when it does its because I am a little low on Hydralic Fluid. Top it off and problem goes away.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

When one pops it appears to be curved and I wonder if that might create the "explosion".
    Mine did that once last November as I was splitting more wood that had been down 2 years. I use a "Super Split" (rack and pinion with 150# flywheel) I had one fly apart so hard I got hit at the base of my thumbnail, That damaged spot is slowly growing towards to end of my nail, 5 months later. The Super Split has about a 1 second cycle time. I think it shot out because the wood was frozen.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Every piece of Bitternut Hickory explodes. We usually use the maul for those. Its like cracking ice.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    Every piece of Bitternut Hickory explodes. We usually use the maul for those. Its like cracking ice.
    One guy came to work looking like he got into a bar fight. He was splitting hickory and it hit him in the face..............ouch! Jay
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread