+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bottles Forming Sugar

Default bottles Forming Sugar

Some of my bottled (8 oz bottles) syrup is developing what I consider large sugar crystals at the bottom of the jars? What did I do wrong?
    42° 7' 14 N
    50-60 Taps
    Homemade 2x4 Arch
    I do it for fun with family and friends!

you cooked it past density. Did you use a hydrometer?
    Mike
    1000 taps on vac
    Delaval 78 vac pump
    rebuilt Vermont arch
    Smoky lake maple custom pans
    4 x 11 reverse flow
    Smoky Lake auto-draw
    Smoky lake 2x4 finisher
    wes fab short bank filter press
    600 gallon Zero tank and 4 cage tanks
    650 gallon surge tank
    Deer Run Maple 500 GPH RO
    https://www.facebook.com/WhaleysMapleSyrup?ref=hl

Like Mike said, the syrup is over density. However it can still be used. If you checked it with a hydrometer then the hydrometer is off. I always keep two or three hydrometers to check against each other. Did you label with a batch number? That would help you identify in containers other than glass.
    Also syrup in a container that is opened and closed tons of times, left out on the counter for hours open will have more water evaporate out and can cause crystalization over time
    Keith

I did use a hydrometer. Next year I will have a back up! Thanks.
    42° 7' 14 N
    50-60 Taps
    Homemade 2x4 Arch
    I do it for fun with family and friends!

What temp. did you bottle it? Your density could have been right when you finished the batch, but the crystals could have formed when bottling.

1.If you bottle at or above 200 deg.F, you will make more sugar sand and could have changed the density as well.
    2.If you try to reheat too quickly (i.e. burner on high) it can create hot spots on the bottom of the pot and create crystals. Make sure to reheat slowly, and even stir a little to ensure even heating of the entire batch, or better yet look into a water jacketed bottling unit.

It could be any of the above, or the hydrometer may be off. A hydrometer should always be lowered very slowly into the syrup, if it hits bottom it can move the paper inside and give a bad reading. There are trade shows in the east for maple equipment and at many there is free testing of the hydrometer. Try to find something like that in Michigan. Here the testing is generally done by the State authority that governs maple such as Ag and Markets, or the Dept of Agriculture or such, should be similar there. If you can't find something ask your dealer, they can likely help. After you get it tested and properly calibrated, get a ref. mark somehow to re verify yourself in the future. Also, make sure the hydrometer is clean on the stem above the syrup, clean it often. A film of sugar on the upper stem will cause it to float low. Then you make it over density to get the reading you want, resulting in heavy syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread