+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Deer Run Maple (Ray Gingerich) Ordered Today!

Default New Deer Run Maple (Ray Gingerich) Ordered Today!

Today I ordered (1) of Rays Electric Hobby EZ-125 models, 3-4 week lead time upon receipt of Deposit!

how many taps do you have and what is it rated for?
    12 X16 sugar shack
    2X6 Patrick Phaneuf hood/pre-heater
    260 taps tubing with guzzler and 12 buckets
    Rays 250 RO
    950 John Deere

A Ray Gingerich 125 will do an honest 125 GPH if removing 75% of the water.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by mvh1969 View Post
    Today I ordered (1) of Rays Electric Hobby EZ-125 models, 3-4 week lead time upon receipt of Deposit!
    Congratulations, you won't be disappointed.
    I just received a pair of back up membranes for one of his 250 GPH units. I will keep one on acid wash for several days if needed during the seson and will have the spares to get righ back into production. This past year at one point my membranes were in need of a good acid wash to restore them to original performance but I had too much sap coming in everyday to not be able to run the RO for2 or more days while I did an extended acid wash, now I'll just swap membranes after washing and adding the acid to let them soak and I'll only lose about 1 hour and be right back in business.
    My 250 is now gas powered, but since I now am grid tied I have purchased the necessary motor and controls to change it to electric before the 2014 season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by mvh1969 View Post
    I just received a pair of back up membranes for one of his 250 GPH units. I will keep one set on acid wash for several days if needed during the season and will have the spares to get right back into production. This past year at one point my membranes were in need of a good acid wash to restore them to original performance but I had too much sap coming in everyday to not be able to run the RO for2 or more days while I did an extended acid wash, now I'll just swap membranes after washing and adding the acid to let them soak and I'll only lose about 1 hour and be right back in business.
    My 250 is now gas powered, but since I now am grid tied I have purchased the necessary motor and controls to change it to electric before the 2014 season.
    Last edited by maple flats; 05-22-2013 at 04:33 PM.

I was at Rays today. He is making 1000 gph units now with two 8" membranes.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Dave What's are the membranes in Rays ro ?
    Are they nf270-4040 ? Did he have them in stock ?
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I just received a pair of back up membranes for one of his 250 GPH units. I will keep one on acid wash for several days if needed during the seson and will have the spares to get righ back into production. This past year at one point my membranes were in need of a good acid wash to restore them to original performance but I had too much sap coming in everyday to not be able to run the RO for2 or more days while I did an extended acid wash, now I'll just swap membranes after washing and adding the acid to let them soak and I'll only lose about 1 hour and be right back in business.
    Not to knock Rays RO's, I think they're a good affordable option, and Ray is nice guy, but I'm not switching membranes during the season. After three seasons and almost 70,000 gal of sap my membranes still flow 100%. I've never had to acid wash. I can start the day at 280 gph+ and after 6 or 8 hours concentrating I'm still at 240gph+. There's no replacement for good recirculation.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETER CREATIONS View Post
    Dave What's are the membranes in Rays ro ?
    Are they nf270-4040 ? Did he have them in stock ?
    Thanks Mike
    Yes they are and they were in stock.
    In regards to having to acid wash, I was supposed to do one at the end of the previous season and the manual says to let it set for up to 4 weeks, then do a soap wash and a cold permeate rinse. I think my issue was that I only let the acid set 24 hours and then soap washed and cold rinsed, then added preservative. As such I only did the in season acid wash and not the end of season one. As such my season this year started with less water being removed at the same pressure as last year. I then re concentrated to get it done. I think it was all operator error at the end of last year. It happened because I was careless, I didn't believe the season was over so quick and as such did not treat it like I should have at season's end. This year I let the acid wash set for 3.5 weeks and then did a filal soap wash, then a permeate rinse and finally I added preservative. This is what the instructions said to do last year but failed to. When my membranes were not to original performance it was passing no sugar, but rather than doing 250 gph it was doing about 375 gph but was still removing 190-200 gph of permeate. As such it was removing more water but was not giving me the 8% concentrate I wanted. A second pass did get me to between 10-12% concentrate.
    And for the price difference I'll stick with Ray's units!

How much would one of Rays ROs cost to do 500 taps on vacuum?
    2012- 200 buckets 2 by 8 woodfired leader evaporator with hood and pre-heater. 2013-400 taps with cheek valves and new tubing system. 2014-600 taps with cheek valves and wesfab short bank filterpress and a 16 by 16 canner from Leader and a Kubota L3200 sap hauler.2016- new 250 gas powered Ro from Deer Run Maple. New Airablow 1000 tap gas powered vacuum pump and 1000 tap duel releaser and 1800 ft of sap transfer line to sugar house and down to 540 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast