+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making 2x6 lightning arch taller

Default Making 2x6 lightning arch taller

I have been boiling on an older wood fired, Small Brothers Lighting arch, 2x6, raised flue, for about 6 years now. I have noticed that most of the newer evaporators are taller, making for a taller fire box. I am cheap, real cheap, but my arch is going to need to be re-tinned this year anyway so I was contemplating some improvements.

Has anyone deepened their arch by running some sqaure stock/channel iron/angle iron around the top of the whole arch? I figured I could lift the pans 2-3 inches by doing this pretty easily. The doors would still be small, but part of the idea is to create a little air space above the fire, right? Then if I brick it real well, could I use metal roofing for the outside tin? I was also thinking about lowering my grates, maybe casting a grate out of the mortar too? I don't get much ash because of the fan I have under the fire now.

I am not sure I would have the money, but I was also thinking that if I used channel iron, I might be able to put a pipe with air "jets" inside the iron, then fill the space with castable fire brick mortar. Then I could have a few jets right below the syrup pan on each side and across the front. Alternatively, I could run the pipes on the outside of the arch, and punch them through the angle/channel iron. Thoughts?
    3rd (maybe 4th?) Generation Sugarmaker
    Wood fired Grimm 2.5 x 8 New to me this year.
    In the corner of the "greasy garage"
    300 Taps @ 2 locations this year
    All borrowed trees!

I think you are on the right track. I learned a couple of years ago about having that air space under the pan and just rebuilt my 2x6 last year. The biggest improvement was the AOF. I used some electric steel conduit for my AOF tubing and had 3/8" nozzles. I went from 12 gph to 35. I also wen and put in the firebrick grates with drilled holes, which worked great. You can check my pics as I went. I also used some aluminum sheeting around the firebox, but had 2" of fiber blanket that protected it. No problems.

Good luck.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

What is the optimum number of inches between the grates and front pan? How "tall" are the newer evaporators?

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    How "tall" are the newer evaporators?

Steve
    18" is the dimension I measured on one of the units. AOF is supposed to be around 6" from pan jets pointing down at approx. 10 deg. High Pressure not volume at a split of 70/30 AOF-AUF.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Waynehere View Post
    I think you are on the right track. I learned a couple of years ago about having that air space under the pan and just rebuilt my 2x6 last year. The biggest improvement was the AOF. I used some electric steel conduit for my AOF tubing and had 3/8" nozzles. I went from 12 gph to 35. I also wen and put in the firebrick grates with drilled holes, which worked great. You can check my pics as I went. I also used some aluminum sheeting around the firebox, but had 2" of fiber blanket that protected it. No problems.

Good luck.
    Wayne - What did you use for a blower for the aof? Is that from grainger and you had an old motor to throw on?
    All borrowed trees!

When I build a 2x6 econo-fire as i call it, which is the restyled instens-o-fire that I originally designed, I use a 1/2 horse blower by Grainger #70747 high pressure unit. The firebox should be 2/3rds the length of the pans for proper gasification or combustion which ever you chose to call it. It blows into a plenum that divides the airflow thru a damper system,to the AUF and AOF. 75 percent of the air should go to the aof. In my unit there is air at the back of the firebox and the front of the firebox thru the frame of the door and the door itself. My finished fire box is 27 inches high x 22 inches wide and 48 inches long. I use 27 inches of grate and i never fill the firebox more then 2/3rds full.
    AGR1093 - found this posted by 802Maple - should answer all your questions
    100 taps
    2' x 4' Patrick Phaneuf flat pan
    Oil tank arch

I bought mine used from eBay. It is a Dayton 4C108 Blower radial high pressure 10 5/8 wheel diameter. I currently have a 3/4 hp motor at 1700 rpm. It calls for at least a 1HP at 3400 rpm, but I only have a 2" pipe and it worked rather well..
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

2013-05-18 15.32.57.jpg

Check out what I scored at the local pawn shop! $35 for both, not sure if they'll be perfect, but I think I can make them do something. They were for kid's bouncy houses.
    All borrowed trees!

+ Reply to Thread