+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leased tap etiquette: How much finished syrup per tap?

Default Leased tap etiquette: How much finished syrup per tap?

Was wondering what others do when the landowner wants syrup for leasing their taps?

I was hoping the landowner was going to throw me a number but has left it up to me. I want to be fair or if anything more than fair.

Tap count on his property currently is 250 +/-.

He also just gave me the ok to tap another big chunk of his land ( 500 taps +/-) as well as add vacuum!!

:

I think I would put a dollar amount on it yourself and then give him the syrup for that. Say .50 a tap so 250 would be $125 then either give him bulk price $30 a gallon or retail $45 maybe. I realize some get more retail but you gotta be a little genrous I think. I would lean towards the bulk price especially if you can have vacuum you won't miss the syrup as much. You could always say well I normally would pay x amount per tap so you can have that however you want all cash or all surup or split. On vacuum you will for sure get more syrup than the landowner would probably want. Just my thoughts.

For good running field trees w/ easy access I give a gallon of syrup for every 50 taps.

For poorer running woods trees, I give a gallon for every 80 taps.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I make no distinction on good or poor trees. On my leases I paid .75 per tap in 2012, this year it increases by the amount of inflation that SS declares. That is how my leases are written. Then they get as much of the payment as the want in syrup and the rest is paid by check. For the syrup, I calculate it based on mu current gallon price regardless of the size containers they choose, but that only is for jugs. To date no one has asked for glass over the years. In both leases I have tubing, wet/dry lines and vacuum. My leases are for 10 years. I also helped the landowners get agricultural assessment, which saves them a lot in property taxes as a bonus. That actually saves them more than what my lease payment adds up to.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Good question. I struggled with it myself. In the end I went with a quart per 25 taps after reading a bunch of input here. No one opts for the money, but if they did, I suppose that would be $0.80/tap retail.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

SeanD- if I went with $.80 per tap that is $200.
    I was thinking 3 gallons of syrup and a thank you card with a gift certificate for dinner at long horn?

I really just want to keep him happy.

I average 10% of the syrup their trees produced for the season. This is what I do for the sweet roadside bucket trees. For my largest sugarbush (425 taps) the landowner want 1.5 gal of syrup and a cord of wood.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

+ Reply to Thread