+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bubblemaster 1.0!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeview maple View Post
    Well I built and installed a bubbler in the flue and front pans , all plumbed in and ready and waiting for sap. Anything else I should look for, do I need to remove it when I stop boiling to keep the sweet from plugging the holes? It took awhile to drill all the holes in each pipe and keep them even at 1 inch apart and all facing the same direction, but Im really satisfied with the results of the build. Now I just want to see the results.
    You don't need to remove it when you are done boiling. I remove the one in my front pan when cleaning and switching pans but have never removed the one in my flue pan. As far as I know none of the holes have plugged up.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

My Bubblemaster 1.0 is now almost 4 years old. I am still very happy with the results from using it. I had many visitors tell me that my syrup was the best that they had tasted last year on Maple Weekend so I know that it isn't having a negative effect on the flavor. It was 3 seasons ago when I last made some dark syrup which is the only draw back from using the Bubblemaster. My customers like dark syrup and so do I but they will buy Amber when they can't get Dark especially after they get a taste of it. I prefer making the lighter syrup that I make now as to making all dark and commercial before.

I boiled all of last season without cleaning my front pan and I made 188 gallons of syrup. Without the Bubblemaster I would have changed the front pan about mid season. It was getting a little dirty near the draw offs but still wasn't burning on. The flue pan cleans up much easier now too.

I tried boiling without using the Bubblemaster last season and noticed a big decrease in my evaporation rate. It seems that blowing cold air into the hat sap has the opposite effect and I actually gained some efficiency. It is hard for me to figure out what my evaporation rate is because I never know how many gallons of concentrate I am boiling and usually get the evaporator up to operating temperature and have to shut down.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Ive made 35 gallons of either Light and delicate or Amber Rich so far, Ive pulled the front pans off like normal and there is really nothing there to clean. The front pan had very minimal niter and it cleaned up in 15 minutes. Im very pleased with it so far and my defoamer use is down to almost nothing , no build up in the pans at all its great.
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

So is the addition of air basically to keep agitating the syrup so nothing falls out of it?
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    So is the addition of air basically to keep agitating the syrup so nothing falls out of it?
    It's to keep the nitre that is produced from building up on the bottom of the pan and burning there. The air is directed to the bottom of the flues and pan so it also cools it a little too.
    Russ

I want to bump this tread back up. Lots of interest lately on air injection lately and there is a wealth of information here - Thanks to Russ at Red Roof.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Thanks for bumping my thread John. I was thinking of doing it myself but just haven't thought about while I was here.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Thanks for bumping my thread John. I was thinking of doing it myself but just haven't thought about while I was here.
    You're welcome
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

My 3x8 has a 3x5 flue pan with 10" deep flues. Anyone have experience using a bubbler with the deeper flues? It seems every year most of my syrup is Dark. I make a great flavored dark, but get little or no Amber and no Golden. Most years the only very dark is the end of season finishing off the pans, but with the weird weather this year, I made one batch of very dark, then it went back to dark. I have a great market for dark but very little for very dark. Even in my very dark I get great flavor. My thought is if a bubbler can get me some amber, after packing some amber, I might be able to use some amber to blend carefully with very dark to get more dark. I have blended B in the past (on a 2x6 that did make light) into light to get dark sucessfully, I'm hoping to do that again. I'd need a lot of amber, because it takes very little of the darker grade to change a lighter grade a full step. The last time I did it, I was going from light amber to dark amber by adding B. I think I had about 10 gal of LA and only needed about a pint of B. At that rate I'll need a lot of amber to use up much very dark.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My flues are 7" deep but the theory is the same. The air bubbles blow the nitre off of the bottom of the pan to keep it suspended so that it doesn't burn and discolor the sap. It should work with any depth flue.

This season the sap has been like first run sap all season here and other than 12 gallons of amber the rest of my 117 gallons of syrup has been golden. Wish I was a bulk packer with that kind of syrup.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast