+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubblemaster 1.0!

I use the filter that is in the shop vac. I bought the shop vac brand new and it's only used for the bubblemaster.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ another question. How do you keep the tubes up off the bottom of the pan? I'm really looking into making one of these for my flue pan next year.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Russ,
    Yes this is a good thread. I am more interested in keeping the tough dark brown niter build up off the front pan than making light syrup. No one wants light syrup anymore! Not sure why we are trying so hard to make it? That will change again in two generations when the new grading system has been set in kids minds they will long for the "golden delicate" maple syrup!
    Anyway I wonder if I could branch off of my blower for the steam away, it is very close to where you have your blower connection to the back pan. Come down into the front pan with a smaller manifold and throttle valve and tubes. I have to get under the back of my front hood.
    You mentioned about not having bubbler holes near the draw off? I would like to get as close as possible. I would like to have the front pan with minimal niter build up that would be awesome.
    Lighter syrup would just be a bonus.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by heus View Post
    Russ another question. How do you keep the tubes up off the bottom of the pan? I'm really looking into making one of these for my flue pan next year.
    I put the bend in the tube at the manifold end so that it holds the tube a 1/2" off of the bottom of the pan. On the other end I crimped and soldered the end of the tube and bent it down to hold the tube off of the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Russ,
    Yes this is a good thread. I am more interested in keeping the tough dark brown niter build up off the front pan than making light syrup. No one wants light syrup anymore! Not sure why we are trying so hard to make it? That will change again in two generations when the new grading system has been set in kids minds they will long for the "golden delicate" maple syrup!
    Anyway I wonder if I could branch off of my blower for the steam away, it is very close to where you have your blower connection to the back pan. Come down into the front pan with a smaller manifold and throttle valve and tubes. I have to get under the back of my front hood.
    You mentioned about not having bubbler holes near the draw off? I would like to get as close as possible. I would like to have the front pan with minimal niter build up that would be awesome.
    Lighter syrup would just be a bonus.
    Regards,
    Chris
    The blower for the steamaway should work for you. I was trying to figure out a way to use some of the air off of my blower for the evaporator but filtering it was too much of a challenge in the amount of time that I had to get the Bubblemaster built. You're still going to get some nitre build up on the pan surfaces that aren't directly under the bubbler tubes. The holes in the tubes need to be about a foot away from your thermometer stem so that the cold air doesn't affect the reading.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Default bubbler

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I use the filter that is in the shop vac. I bought the shop vac brand new and it's only used for the bubblemaster.
    Russ Do you put a single pipe in the center of the sections in the front pans? how do you keep it one inch off the bottom
    dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
    250 taps all on line
    2x4 wood fired
    77 acres lots of maples
    http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/hhm-07/

Quote Originally Posted by HHM-07 View Post
    Russ Do you put a single pipe in the center of the sections in the front pans? how do you keep it one inch off the bottom
    Hi Dick, I run 2 tubes in each channel of the front pan. The manifold rest on top of the pan dividers and the tubes are bent so that they are a 1/2" off of the bottom of the pan at that end. On the end of the tubes I crimped them and bent them down at a 90* angle so that ends are held a 1/2" off of the bottom.
    Russ

Hi Russ! A little more description of the manifold. The threaded end of the 3/8" compression fitting is soldered into a hole drilled in the 1" pipe? Is this a difficult soldering job? Thanks, Bruce
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

0324131549.jpgAs fittings are expensive, I drilled the manifold and soldered the 1/2" pipe directly into it. Also I soldered 3/8" across the bottom to space up it off of the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop Kiln Road View Post
    Hi Russ! A little more description of the manifold. The threaded end of the 3/8" compression fitting is soldered into a hole drilled in the 1" pipe? Is this a difficult soldering job? Thanks, Bruce
    Hi Bruce, Drilling the holes in the manifold for the fittings was the hardest part. If they are too egg shaped it is difficult to fill the hole with solder. The soldering itself is fairly easy. Making it so that the tubes are removable makes it easier to put the tubes into the pan and then attach them to the manifold. If the tubes and manifold were all soldered together I wouldn't be able to get it into my flue pan.
    Russ

When you make one of these bubblers is it ok if the pipe touches the pan on the sides of the flues??

Thanks Dick
    dick @ Hobby Hill Maples
    250 taps all on line
    2x4 wood fired
    77 acres lots of maples
    http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/hhm-07/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast