+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo Surging.

Default Shurflo Surging.

Second year using a Shurflo 4008 pump to provide vacuum for my four 3/16” lines supporting 100 taps. Everything works fine 90% of the time until the pump loses vacuum. Sap fills the inlet line to the pump and bubbles actually move from the pump inlet back into the sap filling the hose attached to the pump inlet. Sap flow from the pump outlet stops for a couple minutes, then starts again on it own. Last year I called Pentair four times trying everything they could think of before they sent me a new pump. This year same results with this new pump. I’m confident I have no air leaks. Anyone have ideas or similar issues? Thanks.
    2012 3 1/2 gallons on a block arch. 25 buckets.
    2017 44 gallons on a Homemade 2x6 arch. 170 taps all on 3/16" tubing.
    2019 62 gallons on 200 taps on 3/16” tubing.

Uneven vacuum in the lines perhaps. I think most of us have seen this when flows may not be consistent across multiple lines - either because of number of taps, elevation drop, location of trees (woods vs open) etc.

One thing I am interested in trying, is adding very low crack pressure check valves on each line. That way small vacuum losses on one line will never affect the others and you won't get backflow at all.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/pr...pressure-white

0.3 psi is less than 1 ft of water head.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

A recirculation line solved this issue for me a few years ago. Was having the same issues. It was caused from the air bubbles in the line. If to much at one time entered the manifold it would pause the flow for a short break and then eventually catch up. Would still hold -20 well doing this but not -25.
    Once my pressure is built I hold -25 all day heavy flows or slow flows with the recirculation line. You only need a small flow to keep the pump wet at all times. If it’s really flowing you can just close it.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

Another factor is the slope of the line all the way to the pump. If you have even a slight sag or a significant change in slope, that can cause surging. Check out this very good resource Section 14.4 page 243.
    https://bpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs....-bookmarks.pdf
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkb82 View Post
    A recirculation line solved this issue for me a few years ago. Was having the same issues. It was caused from the air bubbles in the line. If to much at one time entered the manifold it would pause the flow for a short break and then eventually catch up. Would still hold -20 well doing this but not -25.
    Once my pressure is built I hold -25 all day heavy flows or slow flows with the recirculation line. You only need a small flow to keep the pump wet at all times. If it’s really flowing you can just close it.
    Is it easy to adjust the recirculated flow or does it need constant adjustment? Does a simple ball valve work or do you need to fine tuning of a needle valve?

I don’t know much about 5/16” vacuum systems but I don’t think that issue of changing slope at pump suction applies to 3/16” lines?

Thanks for adding that link SeanD. Some very good info in that notebook.
    My lines have been added to over the years and next year it’s time to redo them and change the configuration a bit. It works well but definitely has room for improvement and also eye appeal.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

Quote Originally Posted by vach50 View Post
    Is it easy to adjust the recirculated flow or does it need constant adjustment? Does a simple ball valve work or do you need to fine tuning of a needle valve?
    I have a mini stainless ball valve on a 5/16 recirc line (new this year) which doesn't require much adjustment. I usually keep it barely cracked open to pull the best vacuum when sap is flowing. Even when sap is flowing, I found that if I totally close the recirc valve, my vacuum drops slightly; possibly because I don't have many taps going into the pump. It seems each time I check the pump, battery and solar setup, it's usually pulling good vacuum over 25inHg, and the more I fiddle with it, it only drops the vacuum. So I generally leave the recirc valve barely cracked open, unless I'm totally draining the tank; then I close it so it doesn't suck air and lose my vacuum in the lines.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

My original pump is fitted with a 1/2 pex water line and ball valve that enters the manifold ahead of the lines to the bush. It runs as Openwaters said pretty little adjustment once it’s running. I built a second one last year and tried a needle valve and 1/4 inch line. I had to run it pretty much wide open all the time and could usually only get -22. Switched it to ghe pex and ball valve this year and now it’s running like the other -25 unless I play with it.
    The valves are open almost as little as possible most times. Your just trying to keep the pump wet and pulling consistent vacuum. If you get to much air into the pump it will loose vacuum a bit and your lines and system will also loose its equal vacuum Then the pump will have to build equal pressure throughout your lines and system again. If you can prevent this and no leaks you’ll hold -25 vacuum with your shurflo pump. just what I’ve found the past few seasons.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

I'll add another recommendation for a recirc line. If you use 3/16 tubing it is small enough that you almost don't even need a valve. I run my needle valve on my 5/16 lines about 1.5 turns open and it's perfect. You'll notice a significant difference.
    2018 - 20 Taps on 3/16, Barrel evaporator with 2 steam pans. Unknown amount.
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - 30 Taps on Shurflo, 30 taps on 3/16, 2x5 oil tank evaporator, 11 Gallons.
    2021 - 35 Taps on Shurflo, 11 buckets, RB10 RO Bucket, 2x3XL Mason Evaporator. 4 gallons
    2022 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, 77 taps on 3/16 gravity, 13 buckets to hit 200, Upgrade to RB15 RO Bucket.
    2023 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, New 3/4 Mainline with 125 taps, 2x4 raised flue, Upgrade to Homemade 4x40 RO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast