+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Still waiting for a good run in the Upper Peninsula

Made another 5 gallons last night. Trees finally started running, 105 gallons off 170 taps. Looks like today will probably be the end, warm weather coming. Wolves were howling last night arnoud 2:30 am, helping keep me awake.

You must have had a short season. A lot of almost days?
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

Just finished boiling and bottling the last batch. Total for the season was 1000 gallons sap and 24.5 gallons more than doubling my previous best season of 10 gallons. Lots of Christmas presents for this year. The only dark was the last batch of 2.5 gallons. Got the pan cleaned and most of the stuff put away. Still have to wash the buckets, taps and lines. I was tapped for 7 weeks and never had what I considered a great run. Lots of 3-5 days with nothing then a decent run for a few days. Little easier on the body that way but it sure draggged on. Thanks to every one on this site for all of the great ideas and suggestions for us little guys.
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

How much more of a season do you figure you have? We were just discussing how cold the weather was holding in Minn. at lunch time today watching the weather report. I would guess that you will sugar as late as some of the places in Quebec?
    Quote Originally Posted by regor0 View Post
    Made another 5 gallons last night. Trees finally started running, 105 gallons off 170 taps. Looks like today will probably be the end, warm weather coming. Wolves were howling last night arnoud 2:30 am, helping keep me awake.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

Thanks for the message JR. Its been a long, drug out season but that let me get enuff wood scrounged up. Had 3 or 4 "good" days, but overall its been our best. Was going to pull taps this AM but it got down to 29 last nite so I'll collect tonite and call it good. Should finish around 780g. Tapped 3/23. Would like to get down and see your Sugarbush sometime. - Have a great summer!
    Oil tank evaporator w/fire brick and grate, 8 ft. stack
    2 x 4 ss pan w/warmer
    2011 90 taps
    2012 65 taps
    2013 76 taps w/milk jugs
    2014 41 taps w/milk jugs
    2017 67 taps w/various jugs
    2018 75 taps wjugs
    2023 39 taps wjugs
    Polaris Ranger w/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Homestead Maple View Post
    How much more of a season do you figure you have? We were just discussing how cold the weather was holding in Minn. at lunch time today watching the weather report. I would guess that you will sugar as late as some of the places in Quebec?
    This weekend is going to be too warm but next week has freezing temps depending on which forecast you look at. We still have 2 feet of snow in the bush. We will keep the vacuum on and try to make it to next week and see if it runs. The snow is still not melted away from the bases of the trees. How long does Quebec usually go?

Thanks for me hope mark, I was going to give it up after I boiled tonight, But I think I'll hang in there till next week. I just can't believe I could go through a season without one "GOOD" run. A few days off warm weather to get rid of this snow may be all my trees need.

Not getting much of a flow today which is not a good sign. I have a test bucket that was tapped two weeks ago and it is running like mad. Sap will run next week but it all depends on how old the tap holes are. We will boil today and hope to get some dark or grade b. We have made almost all light amber with this cold weather and it went to medium amber yesterday.

I just went out and picked up some bags that blew off. Looks like this could be my best day.
    49 sunny but windy. Got down to 27 last night.

Mine are starting to pick up so I am not quitting yet. Looks like I should be able to make a hundred gallons this evening. I really need dark syrup so I have to stick with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast