+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost Done in Northeast Pa

Default Almost Done in Northeast Pa

Looks like the freezing nights are done. Maybe tonight but that is it. Good season all in all. Anyone else in the the NE corner of the state finished or still going.

Craig

I'm done today. Pulling the taps in the morning. My sap is still clear with good sugar content, but can't convince myself that it smells quite right while boiling today. It looks like last night was our last freeze of the year anyhow. It was a strange season for us again. It looks like we will end up with very close to .5 gal per tap.

Same here. One last boil tomorrow then it looks like I'm done. My taps are in the 6-7 week old range and most are still dripping good today. It's been a really long season with decent flows early and late but not much to speak of in the middle, but like you, all in all a good season.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

If it goes below feezing tonight I will boil tomorrow and Mon but that depends if it freezes tonight. I thought this would have been a great week but as usual it stayed too cold here by a few degrees. A sugarmaker a mile away has been pulling in sap like crazy all week and I only had one good day. Last night it went down to 22 degrees and it didn't get above freezing today until Noon so I didn't boil again today. Tomorrow will be a definate boil maybe a long one if they flow all night. Sap is still clear and the same sugar as all season 1.50 to about 1.75. Not good but out of my control. I will do better then last year but this season was only saved by the extended couple of weeks we ended up with.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Got about 1000 gals over night. Still running but slow. The end is near.

+ Reply to Thread