+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Clam sap

Default Cloudy Clam sap

Season is pretty much over in my area so started collecting buckets and lines. Had two buckets that each had 5 gallons in them however the sap was a touch cloudy. It tasted fine so I thought I would boil it up since it didnt appear to be all that cloudy. Well, about 10 seconds after it started to boil it smelled like I was boiling a pan full of clams....lesson learned!

Geez that's nasty. With that vivid description I think I can smell it from here!
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Well I'm glad I just dumped my 5 gal of cloudy sap..... I only tap a few trees so I thought about boiling it.

Iv been boiling cloudy sap for last few days making some awesome dark amber with great taste and when boiling it smells very maplely<new word
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

I had the same thing happen, the sap was cloudy but had no odor so I started boiling it....five minutes later I was at the clam bake. That smell was not the sweet smells of maple and after a little while it was getting a little revolting. I was going to shut it down, throw it all away and call it over for the season but my son said keep boiling it what's the worst that can happen? you throw it away anyway. well to my surprise after a while that smell went from clams to dirty socks, to clean socks, then to maple. It was a really good tasting B grade.....glad I hung in there!
    160 taps/ buckets
    2x4 evaporator
    10' x 14' sugarshack

i only toss it when its piss yellow
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

I have a question regarding the question of sap color and when to "pitch it" and would appreciate any advise (new enthusiast..)
    I see a comment about pitching piss yellow, also some who seem to keep it and boil past the odour with success in the end.

thus far I have had only fancy (light light) syrup. However the weather has been cold recently and no sap running to speak of - but the small amounts I do see in my pails is 'off color' to what I have seen to date. I have yet had enough of this to boil, in a couple of cases it was a tea color others a distinctive yellow tinge...

cold these past few nights -5 to -7 C not warming up past +2 or +4C. I am hopeful that I will still see another run yet but now wonder if it is the time of the season that is causing the color change? I have not produced any amber syrup as yet so I do not know if the sap that produces amber is also yellow or otherwise not clear?

comments welcome folks, looking for some insight - thanks
    Last edited by ridgerunner394; 04-03-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Hmm, maybe I should have just kept boiling it. It smelled pretty rank and even the bubbles seemed different. Next time perhaps I should power through it and see what happens.

I don't give up until the syrup loses it's flavor or gets ropey. I have made some good looking and great tasting syrup from what others would dump. As for the yellow sap, if it only a tinge I save it and boil it. If it is darker than that I dump it.

One year at the end of March it looked like we were all done here. The sap was cloudy and yellowish. I left my taps in and vacuum pump on. Then we got a foot of snow and decent sapping temps. I made most of my syrup that year in the first 2 weeks of April while others around me were crying because they pulled their taps too soon.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I just checked my buckets and most of them are all almost 1/2 full (4 gallon buckets) and the trees are running. The sap is nice and clear...didn't test the sugar content yet but I see another night of boiling.........
    160 taps/ buckets
    2x4 evaporator
    10' x 14' sugarshack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast