+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of pot should I boil in?

Default What type of pot should I boil in?

Well I got some sap and have boiled 2 batches on my stove but not that the sap is running I am looking for a way to speed up evaporating. I grabbed my dads deep frier and started a 5 gallon batch at about 7p.....fast forward to 10p and I only boiled about 3 gallons away and used about 1/2 tank of propane. Now I am thinking about utilizing my fire pit and boil on an open flame. I have heard that some types of metal pans can taint the flavor....what type of pot should I buy to boil or can I just use the deep frier pot? Thanks for the help.

Travis

Go for the pot with the biggest surface area that fits your fire. On a fire pit, rectangular steam table pans should work. A full size pan has about 2 square feet of surface area. These pans are usually stainless steel but any pot will work. The hotel pans are used by many of us here on concrete block arches. You might want to take a look at some of those threads especially if you have a supply of free or low cost wood.

The only metal I think that might taint the flavor is cast iron because of possible rusting. On the pro side, it also could add iron to your diet Some people on this forum have said they can taste aluminum in syrup made in aluminum pots but I've never tasted syrup made that way so can't tell you from my own experience.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Thanks for the response. I will take a look to see if I can find some cheap chafer pans or some large square pans. I only tapped a few trees so I am not boiling off a lot (10 gal) I just want to speed up the boiling process.

Yes, wood fired is the way to go, but you can also round up a bunch of camp stoves (propane or white gas), grab every pot in the house and get as many stoves going as you can and start reducing the volume of your sap in a hurry.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

About anything should work. Just don't make the wife/gf upset with you by using something you're not supposed to use.
    2011: Turkey Fryer, 3 Taps, 1 Quart!
    2012: Crude Block Setup, 14 Taps & 2.5 Gal. Syrup
    2013-2016: Fuel Tank w/ Steam Pans, 20 Taps and between 4.5-6.5 Gallons
    2017: Next Gen Maple 2x3 Hobby setup, 25 taps & 4.5 Gal.
    2018: 34 taps & 8 gal

+ Reply to Thread