+ Reply to Thread

Thread: snowshoes

Default snowshoes

What is the best snowshoe for working in the woods? I have never really needed them before but this year I will.
    I have heard the new aluminum ones are better than the old wood ones but would like your input if you have a favorite style. Thanks

I think it would depend on the type of snow you get. If you have an icy crust like you typically have in sap season and have steep slopes, then the aluminum shoes with the claw bindings work good. Having said that though, I can't stand them. I have used snowshoes daily for 30 years all winter. Here in upper Michigan we get deep fluffy lake effect snow. I prefer older wood and neoprene traditional snowshoes in the Michigan style-big and flat. The claw shoes feel like you are walking on a rock all the time and don't have enough flotation for me.

I have a set of tubbs aluminum shoes, will be trying them for the first time this weekend, I will b e going on a snow shoe hike on saturday, and will probably wear them while running tubing on Sunday, I'll post how they felt using them for the weekend.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

syrupmaker Guest

Jim.... take your camera with ya so you can post pictures of what snow shoeing looks like from ground level.

P.S. don't put the camera in a side pocket :wink:

Rick

I've had some Tubbs metal snowshoes for 4 years now and love them. I got the 36's because of my weight 220lbs + a pack. So the big snow shoes provide plenty of floation and they are a good all around snowshoes. Like the claws on ice and the traction they provide. I lead volunteer snowshoe groups and some time have to provide a boost here or there having the extra traction is great. Having said that I like the traditional ones also and you can get them also with the claws on them . I do believe in a high powder snow that they do provide a better flotaion platform but can't afford two pairs. Just be prepared to ether straddle a tree or work from your side because of the snowshoe toes depending on the size your get. Tubbs has a great website that will help you select the style you want. Does'ent mean you have to buy Tubbs just another resource.
    Have fun
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

Rick, I'll tie it around my neck, can't afford to loose another digi camera again 8O

I was surprised when I got home from work and saw much more snow there than at work, 1/2 hr away!!

Al, do they tire you out much? is it alot harder to walk in them? I guess once your used to them it's a breeze...
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Hi Jim, with your aluminum ones it's easier to walk because they can be a little narrower. They'll tire you out if you don't take it easy the first time or two just like anything else of course. Don't set any speed records and you should be alright!!!! Also remember because it's easy to walk on the way out you've got to get back too!!!!!
    Take care and see you the 7th
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

Default snowshoes

I generally dont post here, but on this topic I feel pretty qualified. I've used all kinds of shoes and worked in sporting goods back in the day, so I've got an opinion that I think is worthwhile- Aluminum rules!! Superior flotation, grip, binding systems, weight, ad nauseum. Also, I like the solid plastic deck- the snow just slides off, especially if its getting wet . I used to swear by wood w\neoprene lacing, but trust me- save up a few extra$ get the aluminum.
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

After using the aluminum tubbs saturday for a few hours while running tubing.I thought they worked pretty good, all the turning around and going over trees and downed branches, I think they are much better than if you had longer ones...BUT it got tireing and I fell a few times :P so I went in with just boots for the next few hours...I think though if you were just going checking lines and taps they would work great... especially in real deep snow.
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

+ Reply to Thread