+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporation rate on 2x6 evaporator

Default Evaporation rate on 2x6 evaporator

Has anyone established an evaporation rate on a 2x6 with 2x4 drop flue and 2x2 front pan without any air and then added AUF? I would like to know the difference in boiling rate to be able to justify adding a blower.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

We use a 2x6 with a 2x4 max flue (all raised) and 2x2 patriot syrup pan. We also have a hood on the flue pan with a homemade parallel flow heater heating the sap to about 140F. We are oil fired, burning approx 4.25gph oil. We average about 45-50 gph boil rate. We can increase it by ramping up the fuel but have ran several tests and have found running at 4.25gph gives us the best efficiency. (Gallons of oil to gallons of syrup) Not sure what "auf" is but that is where we are at

I forgot to mention that I have a wood fired arch. AUF is "air under fire".
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    year
    43.74° N

I think that the consensus is that insulation and air are no-brainers to add. I don't have all the threads to point to for this but from all I can remember reading here it is pretty much a cut and dried decision if you have the funds/ability to build.

From my own experience with two years on a home-made 2x5 and this past season with a new Leader 2x6:

The difference in the appearance of the boil and steam, sound, and stack temps when blowers are off compared to when blowers are on is clear. I will never build or buy an arch without a blower.

Hopefully someone will have hard numbers for you, since that makes it easy to make a decision, but I don't think you'll regret the add on.

It is definitely worth putting a blower on. A simple squirrel cage blower, about 1/6 HP and at least 200 CFM for under fire on a 2x6. You will boil much faster and it will be much easier to keep the rate up. You will burn more wood too.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

My 2x6 drop Smoky Lake did just under 30gph last year on an old crappy arch from the 60's with enough air leaks that I could see the fire from any angle without a glass door if you know what I mean. This year it's a 2x7 (the same flue pan with a 3 foot syrup pan) on a gasification arch, I'll let you know by the end of the week what the rate is but I'm hoping for 50gph.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Thanks guys for the input, I appreciate it. I think our next improvement will be AUF. I think next year we are looking at building a new arch.
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    year
    43.74° N

+ Reply to Thread