+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new 2'by4' flat pan with dividers, and a question

Default new 2'by4' flat pan with dividers, and a question

The pan finally got here Friday evening. I had put the block arch together during the day. I took the 1'by2' preheater and instead of setting it on the pan, I built up another course of blocks for it to sit on, so it gets hotter faster. I put a row of bricks along the edge of the pan so no metal is exposed to the air or wind. I also took a 32 gal container and put a spigot at the bottom of it. I attached a tube to it and let the sap drip into the preheater at the rate I have the preheater dripping into the pan.

Worked great, with no blower and no grate to lift the fire off the ground, I still had a good 8 to 10 gph, which is plenty. I just need to learn the somewhat continuous flow method; I need to keep the sap on longer before drawing off to bring in the house, this weekend I averaged 4 gals of sweet brought in the house to making 1 gal of syrup.

Also, when doing a final draw off, getting all the sweet out of the pan, do you add straight water to the pan from the preheater to push the sweet through the channels to the draw off valve? Or do you just let it sit and boil then try to tilt the pan to get it all off?

Thanks
    2013 20 taps; 2'/4' flat pan with dividers/preheater on block arch, about 4 gal
    2014 about 125 taps on 2/5 smokey lake hybrid pan; 34 gals
    2015 about 125 taps, same pan, just over 40 gals syrup
    12'/12' post and beam sugar house

Hello Outdoorsman, I have a 2x4 flat pan with dividers. Mason. Love the arch idea, adding a section for the preheater to get it hotter. It won't drip condensation into the syrup pan that way….For a final drawoff, ….I have used water to push the sap through from the preheater to the draw off valve and then into a Turkey Fryer. I first collected as much of the almost syrup off then used the water to push the sap through. I then boiled on the TF to finish the sap off. Took forever. The almost syrup finished quicker, and did that first.

I would not recommend boiling so low as to have to tip the pan to draw off the sweet. Your pan will be very hot, and heavy. Also, it will warp from all of the heat without any sap in it. Hope this helps, just my 2cents
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I took pics but can't grit them on comp yet
    2013 20 taps; 2'/4' flat pan with dividers/preheater on block arch, about 4 gal
    2014 about 125 taps on 2/5 smokey lake hybrid pan; 34 gals
    2015 about 125 taps, same pan, just over 40 gals syrup
    12'/12' post and beam sugar house

You just need to boil longer before drawing anything off. I usually wait until it starts foaming uncontrollably near the draw-off, or it just starts floating the hydrometer. Those often occur at about the same time though.

For final draw-off of the season I let it get as low as I dare while killing the fire at the same time. If it looks like it will simmer too low I shovel the coals out also. I let it cool overnight and draw everything off the next day

My 2x4 is a little unusual though. Had it built as a batch pan but had it modified for continuous. Two larger compartments in the "flue" area and three smaller compartments in the "syrup" area. Works very well though.

2-18-2012_2.jpg
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread