+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Trees...

Hybrid View

Default Cemetery Trees...

Tapping old Cemetery maples...disrespectful or not??? Saying that person makes an effort to carry in, carry out and walks around the outsides of the cemetery.

my feeling on this is if you respect the grounds and walk around the out side or on the rds it should be ok. but there are people out there that will feel different than i do about this. Respect,keep clean and dont leave taps in after the season you would be fine by me.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Old caskets used to be lead lined.
    Brian Ryther
    Mill Hollow Maple
    10,000 taps
    3 Liquid Ring Vac Pumps
    5x14 Leader Vortex Evap
    Lapierre 2000 RO
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x3/brianryther/

Quote Originally Posted by jstaples View Post
    Tapping old Cemetery maples...disrespectful or not??? Saying that person makes an effort to carry in, carry out and walks around the outsides of the cemetery.
    We have a lot of cemetery's with maple trees in them here in Vermont. I don't think it's disrespectful to tap them but it's kinda weird. My syrup jugs show a sugar house and a team of horses gathering sap. I would hate to see what your jugs look like. There's no way in hell I would gather your sap at midnight. This is why I would never buy flee market syrup. Just the idea creep's me out.

Spud

That syrup would be to die for ...........
    Jamie Ackerman
    2X6 evaporator, homemade steam hood, and preheater
    200 taps all buckets 2013
    Honda 300 fourtrax sap hauler w/ 2-35 gal. tanks

Sounds like quite an undertaking.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I was not going to comment on this thread.....there was situation a few years ago that came up where I was actually interested in tapping cemetary trees near here. My father used to be quite involved with our large church cemetary and there was plum trees growing in and around the older parts (circa 1890's - 1940's). People used to come and water their flowers and then, when in season, pick them full of plums. My dad always said never eat any plums from those trees because they may have embalming chemicals in them. He said most of the caksets in that era were wooden and the idea of the roots absorbing anything were quite high.

So when I talked about tapping these maple in a different cemetary near my house, he advised me not to because you never know what that tree may have taken up. I know the church cemetary has a storage building for winter casket storage and one spring I was there with him and it was getting on into late April and they still didn't have them all out of there and it was just plain disgusting what I seen, the caskets were dripping from the racks and all over the floor. After witnessing that, I never thought about tapping cemetary trees again, just food for thought.
    Last edited by markcasper; 03-24-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I was not going to comment on this thread.....there was situation a few years ago that came up where I was actually interested in tapping cemetary trees near here. My father used to be quite involved with our large church cemetary and there was plum trees growing in and around the older parts (circa 1890's - 1940's). People used to come and water their flowers and then, when in season, pick them full of plums. My dad always said never eat any plums from those trees because they may have embalming chemicals in them. He said most of the caksets in that era were wooden and the idea of the roots absorbing anything were quite high.

So when I talked about tapping these maple in a different cemetary near my house, he advised me not to because you never know what that tree may have taken up. I know the church cemetary has a storage building for winter casket storage and one spring I was there with him and it was getting on into late April and they still didn't have them all out of there and it was just plain disgusting what I seen, the caskets were dripping from the racks and all over the floor. After witnessing that, I never thought about tapping cemetary trees again, just food for thought.
    They actually save bodies/caskets over the winter instead of burying them right away???
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

In our area the Board of Directors don't allow tapping in some roadside cemetery trees. I only want to be where welcome, so I stay in the woods with my taps. In general I stay off the roads. I see those roadside buckets covered in sand/salt spray after a spring storm. No thanks for me.
    2' x 4' W. F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    14' x 20' Sugar House
    170 buckets for 2014
    Tractors, ATV's & Kid Power
    8+ Dairy Goats, dozen hens, beef

BLOG: http://juniperhillfarmer.blogspot.com/

Although I am sure many of the residents of said grave yards would love some maple. I would not tap even if permitted.

That being said if I have to to survive I would without blinking an eye!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast