+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree ID with no leaves

Default Tree ID with no leaves

I was out cutting up and skidding downed trees and I got a wild hair to tap some trees this year. We have 40 wooded acres and lots of maples. I can ID the maples pretty well, but how do I know what species and is it that critical? I know that most of our leaves turn yellow and fall flat. So is there a good way to judge by the bark?

I have a very good series of trails. With the snow cover that we have this year I'm looking to tap the "gravy" trees at the edge of the trail and the best ones of those.

In a woodlot that contains a mix of sugar and red maples, when viewed from a distance (~ 100 ft) the bark of the sugar maples appears as if it's been 'ironed', i.e., it looks like there are smoothed areas of bark on the trunk.
    2 x 4 flat pan
    45 taps

for me, one of the easiest ways to tell isby your landscape. for instance, i dont know where you are, but i am in medford. silver maples only grow in the moist areas. flood plains, semi perched water tables, and lower ground close to water in any respects. red maples like full sunlight and sugar maples usually tend to start out under the canopy. it helps to know weather or not the property was logged, but red maples tend to be in high numbers in disturbed areas. they like to grow with aspen. sugar maples are all over, but they prefer very healthy sites. when they start growing, they are in close to full shade alot of times. does that help at all?

It doesnt matter what you tap, they all have sugar. mix the sap together if you want, theres just more water in the sap from silver and sugar. not a huge deal. careful with the silver maples though. this year, it is so late, they are going to start setting bud soon, and if they do, your syrup will taste funny. as silvers get larger there bark is long flaky sheets, whereas the other maples have hard dense bark.

the maples turn reddish and orangish in fall. real bright colors. the silver tend to turn more of a yellow, and the leaves are really thin, with deep cuts. honestly, if i were you i would start this summer by marking all the maples with the leaves on them.
    100 taps on gravity
    50 taps on buckets
    2x4 flat pan
    3 - 275 gallon tanks

If its a Maple tap it. Sugars usually produce more sap and have higher sugar content, but any Maple will yeild sap. Going by the bark depends on the woods some are ironed looking and some aren't. Some have tighter bark and others don't its interesting looking them over how different they can look. If I question myself looking at the trunk I look at the roots sometimes two different looking trees will have similar looking roots then I look up to see the first big branches there I look for a rippled looking section you'll catch on. Of course if it is a good temperature for sap to run and your not sure drill a hole before you run your line if your running line and if sap comes out its Maple.

I'd suggest getting a tree id book and familiarize yourself with how the buds look for different maples in the winter. If you have Red Maples, something is red all year; buds in the winter, leaves in fall and leaf stalks are red all year. The size of Sugar Maple and Red Maple buds is usually the same, but Sugars have brown colored buds, not red. Usually the bark on Reds is smoother than Sugars, but not always. If it's winter, the surest way to id trees is the bud.
    4 taps in 2011
    25 taps in 2012
    40 taps in 2013
    54 taps in 2014
    59 taps in 2015
    Skipped 2017, too busy
    50 taps in 2018
    Homemade arch with 2 x 4 divided pan

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    If its a Maple tap it. Sugars usually produce more sap and have higher sugar content, but any Maple will yeild sap. Going by the bark depends on the woods some are ironed looking and some aren't. Some have tighter bark and others don't its interesting looking them over how different they can look. If I question myself looking at the trunk I look at the roots sometimes two different looking trees will have similar looking roots then I look up to see the first big branches there I look for a rippled looking section you'll catch on. Of course if it is a good temperature for sap to run and your not sure drill a hole before you run your line if your running line and if sap comes out its Maple.

Good to know. We have big silvers here in the yard at home here so I am familiar. The leaves seldom turn color, are thin, and curl up. Not much if any of that in our woodlot.

Quote Originally Posted by wshaw932 View Post
    for me, one of the easiest ways to tell isby your landscape. for instance, i dont know where you are, but i am in medford. silver maples only grow in the moist areas. flood plains, semi perched water tables, and lower ground close to water in any respects. red maples like full sunlight and sugar maples usually tend to start out under the canopy. it helps to know weather or not the property was logged, but red maples tend to be in high numbers in disturbed areas. they like to grow with aspen. sugar maples are all over, but they prefer very healthy sites. when they start growing, they are in close to full shade alot of times. does that help at all?

It doesnt matter what you tap, they all have sugar. mix the sap together if you want, theres just more water in the sap from silver and sugar. not a huge deal. careful with the silver maples though. this year, it is so late, they are going to start setting bud soon, and if they do, your syrup will taste funny. as silvers get larger there bark is long flaky sheets, whereas the other maples have hard dense bark.

the maples turn reddish and orangish in fall. real bright colors. the silver tend to turn more of a yellow, and the leaves are really thin, with deep cuts. honestly, if i were you i would start this summer by marking all the maples with the leaves on them.
    Not far east of you in Merril area. The tornado 2 years back traveled on a NE path and the two dairies that were hit were pretty much due north of us at the top of our section. We didn't do so bad as we are down in the valley and it seemed to just skim over so we just had high winds.

I cut and skidded a really nice maple that had uprooted on the creek edge. I seem to recall red buds on this one. It was a beautiful tree probably 24" on the stump.

Much of our property is damp to wet, but is sloped for decent drainage. It would make a perfect tube line setup, but I don't think I'll tube it.

We've owned the property since 2005 and I believe the comment was made that it was last cut 15 or so years prior so we've got about 20+ years since the last select. I call the leaves yellow, but they maybe could be called orange. There are some red leaves in fall, but they are in the minority. Lots of the larger maples are cat faced and/or frost split.

Since I'm only up on weekends I'm thinking I'll run twin 65 gallon tanks in my Ranger and probably tap 30 trees or so. I can get help to do a mid week collection so if during prime I had 30 sacks full I'd fill my tanks and on the weekend I'd have full sacks again. I'm not looking to go big the first year. I also don't know that I have the patience for the 20 or so hrs a weekend I'll need to cook. I'm thinking I home RO will be in order. I plan to visit Maple Hollow Saturday and start out with a Wesfab 24x48 with a second semi finishing pan.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Default Red maple vs sugar maple

Here in the far north of Vermont I have red maples and sugar maples in about equal proportion. To identify, look at the buds. Red maples are blunt and fat, almost looking ready to burst. Sugar maples are thinner and pointed. As far as the bark, young bark is similar. Older bark is flakier on the red maples and more furrowed on the sugar maples. But each bark has a range and a big old red maple can have pretty furrowed bark. It just looks different. Red maple bark has a faint red tint, while sugar maple is grayer.

Red maples add to the flavor of the syrup. Sugar maple may have the higher sugar content, but the taste is blander and more simply sweet. Red maple has a nutty, smoky flavor and a smoother mouth feel. I think the taste of the syrups mixed is superior to either separately. My syrup is about half and half.

I am frequently asked to identify the sugar maples for family and neighbors. I explain my bark identification method, which is hard to explain. The last time I was out the owner put a small dab of paint on the maples that I identified. The only problem now, her kids think that sugar maples all come with a pink spot on them.

Seriously, once you can tell a maple from an ash, then take the time to really look at the texture of a 6" diameter maple. If it is smooth, it's probably red maple, if it is more coarse, it's probably sugar. Mark the tree and confirm when the leaves come out. In no time you will be able to identify sugar maples driving 65 mph from 500' away. But don't drive distracted, good luck.
    2' x 4' W. F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    14' x 20' Sugar House
    170 buckets for 2014
    Tractors, ATV's & Kid Power
    8+ Dairy Goats, dozen hens, beef

BLOG: http://juniperhillfarmer.blogspot.com/

I have a pir of 4" sugar maples that we just had brought in as shade trees last fall. I'll have a look at the buds on these but it's much harder to tell in the woods where all the buds are 20'+ in the air.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-23-2013 at 08:03 AM.

a logger friend of my mine gave me a bark ID lesson on red maples that helped a ton. he said when its got vertical marks on the bark like a cougar came a scratched lines down the tree with its paws, its probably a red. also if it has vertical and horizontal cracks resembling a shattered windshield, its a red. then of course you have your buds.
    you could tap em both, but if you got more trees than you have buckets, you might as well only tap sugars.

325 taps on buckets
    3x7 pan on homemade arch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast