+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tapping NE Wisconsin [Florence County]

I collected about 7 gallons of sap today off 20 taps. First time (over the weekend) the trees dripped a bit this year. My sugar bush is located in a mix of hemlock and pine so it is alway a slow start for me. Glad to hear some are boiling already. Looking forward to doing some boiling myself. Anyone else getting starting to get anything in NE Wisconsin?

Default Late season

I tapped 75 bags & buckets on the 31st. That is the latest that I can remember tapping in my 40+ years of making syrup. There was still about 24" of snow here in S.E Florence county, but we had a pretty good rain last night to settle it down. I would imagine we have "snow soup" to walk in today with the snowshoes!!

Sap has been running in a little bit every day. I have about 1,000 gallons in tank, but the weather is nasty today. Raining right now, expected to change to snow later today, reports say anywhere from 3" - 6" to 6" - 12" expected, with the highs in the low 30's. I will wait until tomorrow (Saturday) to start boiling. Saturday is suppose to be a beautiful day, sunny and highs in the low 40's. This will be the latest to start boiling sap in many years.

Sap was flowing good today in Marinette county. Just finishing up first boil.

Finally got trees tapped today. Lots of snow that's really soft and fairly easy to get thru. Tapped all but 3 big ones we couldn't get to. Will get them in a few days tho. That Gator works really good in the snow. Sap is running but nothing to write home about.

Sure isn't a high volume operation going on around here and its cloudy. Anyone else making cloudy syrup? Better days are coming.

Syrup this year is much darker than other years for me. My buddy got dark stuff this year also.

Big run is finally here. Sat was full bag day at the sugarbush! Easter Sunday cooking it off, happens every year.

Cooked last Thursday, turned out pretty nasty. Taste is ok but is like blacktop and can't get it cleared up, cloudy. Filter bags had some ugly, slimy goo in them. I never sell my syrup and give it away to family so don't think anyone will refuse it and it cost nothing. Every batch I made this year except first one turned out cloudy and understand lots of guys in northern half of the state had same problem. Do we blame Mother Nature for it by sending us such a horrible winter. Production was half of last year also.
    Will need new arch for next year my fuel oil barrel burned out so on the lookout for a 2x4 arch. Fair year for me.

I pulled my taps on Saturday, drained the last sweet from the pan and got that finished. The sugar was low here this year. I averaged 2.3% on 577 gallons. I ended up with 14 gallons of medium to dark amber, none that I would grade as "B". Not a lot of sap sand, but I noticed the last batch had some Fuzz in the jars. That's the down side to canning everything in glass. You see everything that the filter bag misses. All in all, it was a good year even though it started late and the run was start/ stop. The only good run I had was Easter weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast