+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trees no Longer running ?

Quote Originally Posted by sr73087 View Post
    So the two trees I have tapped started to run again. Not as much as a month ago but still getting a decent amount from them. However, it does look like they are both budding now, even with nights in the 20s basically all week. How do I know when the season is over, will it simply not run?

Also, I think I started a little late this year (tapped 2/25 in Trumbull CT). Can you technically tap too early? Next year I was thinking maybe setting up a reminder to have everything tapped and ready to go 2/1.
    The sap will start to smell bad when boiled. Some say it smells like dirty socks. I usually stop when it starts smelling like cardboard.

As for when to tap, if you're just putting out a few out on gravity, imho it is better to watch the forecast next year. Every year is different, especially the last few. Fresh taps on gravity produce better and although colder weather will limit microbial growth in your taps and tapholes, you may not get as good flows after 4-5 weeks. It's also good to keep the traditional tapping dates for your area in mind. Ask around and then start watching the long range weather forecasts about a month before that time.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

So you really only know after you already start boiling? So it will keep running even after the season is over?

If my trees are budding is that any indication where I stand?

So you really only know after you already start boiling? So it will keep running even after the season is over?

If my trees are budding is that any indication where I stand?
    Yes budding means proceed cautiously. Don't mix questionable sap with good stuff. You can always boil a little on the stove separately and do a smell and taste test. Up until this year I've always packed it up before trees budded so can't tell you if you can tell from the taste of raw sap. I think the color may start changing more toward yellow and become cloudy but someone who has experienced buddy sap can tell you better than I could. Toward the end of the season syrup will usually start getting much darker and as I mentioned before boiling sap starts smelling like hot wet cardboard to me. By then I've usually made enough for my needs and am worn out, lol. I have a feeling this year will have me boiling to the edge or I'm going to start running my trees through a wringer . I may be better able to answer you come May So far this season has been a big disappointment at my house. Hope you're having a productive season, having fun and making some delicious syrup! I may have to invite myself over for pancakes .
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Once you have smelled buddy sap you will never forget it! Dirty socks or wet cardboard whatever you want to call it you will definetly notice it right away. If you smell anything foul stop and don't waste your time. My trees are in Watertown just south of Litchfield down in a valley and the red maples have not even budded there however, just 2 miles away at my house the reds have budded out and the sugars are swelling fast. I am holding out until Thursday afternoon then pulling everything Friday morning. Good luck!
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

Unbelievable flow today in North Guilford; no buddy syrup to speak of yet.

I have another question for you guys.

If say in November, we get a few cold days with nights below freezing and days in the 40s. Will the trees run with good sap? Or is there something that occurs over the winter that must happen in order to have usable sap? Or say in a few weeks we get a cold snap and conditions are once again perfect, would they run with usable sap? Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited about this.

I heard that you can tap in the November time frame but the sugar content is very very low.

I also read that the trees need cold weather and longer the cold period (snap) the higher the sugar content wil be, because the pressure from freezing causes a molecular change in the SAP which increase the sugar content. (lke coal into diamonds)

So tapping in the fall it is not worth the effort.
    19-21 Back to tapping
    17-18: not able to tap
    14-16 present: Portable Oil Tank evaporator 40+ taps
    09-14: Stove to Barrel - 20 taps

you can tap in the fall with the temperature inversions but you should never tap the same trees in the Spring.
    I have another question for you guys.

If say in November, we get a few cold days with nights below freezing and days in the 40s. Will the trees run with good sap? Or is there something that occurs over the winter that must happen in order to have usable sap? Or say in a few weeks we get a cold snap and conditions are once again perfect, would they run with usable sap? Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited about this.

41.457 x -72.907 148 elevation
    2x4 wood fired evaporator with the "Hercules Blower"
    hybrid pan and backflip preheater by Smoky Lake
    103 taps. 44 on gravity
    All sugar Maples
    7" filter press
    10 x 12 sugar shack
    two very helpful kids
    a wife that thinks I'm nuts

https://youtu.be/7MiY8qzBKk8
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KCTCHESH7

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Agent914 View Post
    I also read that the trees need cold weather and longer the cold period (snap) the higher the sugar content wil be, because the pressure from freezing causes a molecular change in the SAP which increase the sugar content. (lke coal into diamonds).
    Not really like that. The freeze/thaw conditions induces the enzymatic conversion of starch stored in the wood into sugar, which then mixes with the water in the tree to produce sweet sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12