+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Syrup as Reverse Osmosis or Pipeline Free

I have a question..and I really am not trying to tick anyone off..Does reverse osmosis remove any essential minerals from the sap? I have heard that it removes some potassium from the sap for one. Is that true?
    17" x 32" syrup, 17" X 60" raised flue, Phaneauf.
    110 taps, all buckets,

It depends on the membrane and according to research also on the season if it changes tast or not. Early season taste is not changed but late season taste may be changed.

The question is if those minerals the RO removes would precipitate anyway with niter.

Don Do you talk to all the trees or just a few ? I love honey but am extremely allergic to them but would love to make honey , maybe you could talk to them too.

Just my 2 cents here
    we have won one of the various world maple championships twice now
    the first was with traditional buckets and gravity tubing
    the second was with modern vacuum and an ro
    now is one better than the other?????
    just a thought
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

I'm glad I made a few people laugh and myself.

I make Maple Syrup. Straight from my trees and boiled down and filtered then bottled.

I enjoy doing it and work hard to make it the best.

If that isn't good enough then don't buy it.

Pretty simple. I just hate when someone claims stuff is better when in all actuality it's the same product. Maybe RO removes some minerals maybe not, I do not know but to try and say approved ways are wrong and make people not in the know think using tube, gravity or Vacuum is bad is just wrong to me.
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

I don't know if he still does but I remember a seller on ebay selling "Kettle Syrup". He stated that it was made the old fashioned way in an iron kettle over an open wood fire. I think it was his way of circumventing the grading system and pawning some commercial grade syrup off on the unknowing public making them believe it is a better product.

Our first two years our syrup was pretty rustic and dark. Probably because of the long batch boils and all the ashes that fell into the pan while boiling. Filtered everything out and had some very dark and smokey tasting syrup. People loved it so much that last year and this year all of our product has been sold before we even made any syrup. This years syrup is much more professional and lighter, not as smokey tasting. I am wondering if some customers are going to be disappointed by our non commercial grade product. I think it is important to remember (in this industry and most others) that our customers do not have the same knowledge and therefor the same perspective as the people producing the product. It is the same with the timberframe homes/barns I build. Aesthetic quality issues that would really displease me (sloppy joinery, poor quality timber, etc.), most customers are never even aware of. With that in mind I think misleading people by overemphasizing information that is mostly opinion, or even inaccurate, is unethical. Good honest dealings may not make you rich but it's still the best practice.
    Last edited by aws; 03-14-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    2011-18 taps, 3 campfires in the driveway. Pots,pans and an old kitchen sink. 5 gallons syrup. Good year. Funny looks from neighbors.
    2012 more taps. Oil tank evap. w/sink and 2x4 flat pan.
    2013 running our first tubes 40-60 taps.

free range maple trees
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

My guess is 95% of the people on the face of this planet have never tasted maple syrup and 99% of the people have no idea how it is actually produced. The real issue to me is why the market doesn't expand more rapidly. Part of the problem is the industry is hobbled by regulation. Can you imagine California telling their wine growers that wine needs to be graded before sale? No, instead, the free market samples the product and the marketplace assigns its value. If someone buys a poor wine, typically, they'll spend more the next time and that expands the market in volume and dollars.

The numbers are staggering. The wealthiest 10% of of the world's population - 650,000,000 - would only get 2 oz each of a 10,000,000 gal annual production. And few of us are probably in the top 10%!
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by not_for_sale View Post
    It depends on the membrane and according to research also on the season if it changes tast or not. Early season taste is not changed but late season taste may be changed.

The question is if those minerals the RO removes would precipitate anyway with niter.
    What research are you referring to here?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Here is a link to the PDF that discusses RO performance and effect.

http://www.centreacer.qc.ca/uploaded...ons/108_en.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast