+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Syrup as Reverse Osmosis or Pipeline Free

Quote Originally Posted by McKenney Maples View Post
    Maybe it's just me but this all seems a little bit abstract. I mean there maybe some consumers somewhere that spent time contemplating how the syrup they are consuming is processed. But last time I checked the grocery stores are still packing shelves with corn syrup based fake stuff....
    That's true enough. Maple syrup seems to be a very big niche market and maybe the sub-niches aren't all that important, except to the producers who try to market to them. But it does seem that everywhere, not just on maple syrup labels, we see the Portlandia effect. It's defined as "an extended joke about what Freud called the narcissism of small differences: the need to distinguish oneself by minute shadings and to insist, with outsized militancy, on the importance of those shadings." Take it with a non-GMO, organic, fair trade, dolphin-safe grain of kosher salt.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Way past time to shut this thread down.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Way past time to shut this thread down.
    Sometimes discussions need to wind themselves down and don't need to be shut down. There's thousands of threads on this forum that just end naturally. I'm sure this one will as well. I think this one is doing that and it seems to be winding down.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

.!
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I'm not so sure this thread should die yet. It should get at least 30,000 views... Who is still out there marketing their syrup as "reverse-osmosis free"?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Thinking we should be using the green angle and brag about energy savings with the RO.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Thinking we should be using the green angle and brag about energy savings with the RO.
    People certainly seem to get that energy efficiency is a major benefit of using an ro. And time savings. Especially when I explain that we would have to burn 15-20 cords of wood to make our crop instead of 3-5.

With oil it's a no brainer, but I do know folks that regardless of how much wood they burn, in their minds it is more "green" or sustainable than fossil fuels. Air quality is another thing that wood lovers often disregard... To me, energy conservation is a good thing regardless of the type of fuel being used.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    People certainly seem to get that energy efficiency is a major benefit of using an ro. And time savings. Especially when I explain that we would have to burn 15-20 cords of wood to make our crop instead of 3-5.

With oil it's a no brainer, but I do know folks that regardless of how much wood they burn, in their minds it is more "green" or sustainable than fossil fuels. Air quality is another thing that wood lovers often disregard... To me, energy conservation is a good thing regardless of the type of fuel being used.
    There is a backwards "rear endedness" to every argument, everybody makes.

Everything is so nominal compared to our footprint we put on this planet with the use of Henry Fords great invention. Why even bother talking about anything else. It is so incredibly nominal compared to this.

We go though cars from one to the other like "who cares what happens to this planet". And the salt we put on the roads to make them rot even faster so that we can drive fast like idiots. And the pot holes we tolerate so that we can knock out our alignment and buy new tires every two years if we don't have to buy a new car every two years.

Please ... the next time I hear somebody complain about plastic bags ( most of which get reused by the way ) at the grocery store, I am going to go after somebody. Go fix a pot hole for god sake.

I know there are a lot of big guy ... small guy arguments on this website and everybody has a right to claim their way is the best. From the guy in Dover Plains with 800000 taps ( which he does very well by the way ) to the guy wherever with 1 tap. Claiming to be the best is older then the big book. By Far! Dinosaurs made that claim to each other I am certain of it.

I am just glad my syrup taste great and when my users ask me why I just tell them that I make certain my sap and lines are squeaky clean and my sap is boiled quickly and that there are no objects unknown to science growing in any of my tap tubing.

I wish I could say the same thing about all the tap tubing I have seen.

And that my General is not a claim, it is just a fair thought and observation.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Not arguing here- just replying because I had a few free minutes and figured I'd log on. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile but he did get it to the masses, the road salt affects more than just the roads (I too wish they would stop using it!) and the Governor of New York just put a ban on plastic bags in this state starting in 2020.
    Yes, it's all frustrating.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Why should advertising my maple syrup be different than advertising any other product sold through out human history?

Plus I do not see how it hurts the industry. People are still going to buy syrup. They will just look for non RO syrup if thats what there into or bucket syrup or non vac syrup.

I get a lot of people searching me out for non RO syrup, should I tell them just go and buy some RO syrup that cost less near you instead of driving over an hour to get to my house.

Does Pepsi tell Coke to lay off. Does Ford ever advertise that they are even par with Chevy. Buy a Chevy there just as good as we are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2121314151617181920212223 LastLast