+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Syrup as Reverse Osmosis or Pipeline Free

Everyone is looking for a way to brand themselves. As long as its done in a positive way I don't have a problem with what you say about how you make your syrup - as long as you don't disparage the way I do things in an efort to make yourself look better. All buckets - good for you. Gravity tubing - just peachy. Wood fired - great (we are and are proud of it). Modern facility (i.e. high tech) - well done. Saying you're RO, tubing, filter press, UV light etc... free implies that people using these commonly accepted methods are doing something inferior.

I recall someone near Toronto who was marketing their syrup as unfiltered a few years ago. The ads implied that filtered syrup was inferior because it removed nutrients. Problem is, in Ontario syrup must be filtered to be properly graded for sale.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I agree that this type of marketing is bad for the industry. Especially when some tout that they are formaldehyde free.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Live: Rideau Lakes. Tap: Beckwith. Ontario.

Some people will try anything to get a perceived edge, even if they have to step on a lot of toes to do it. Karma is a .......... look out.

What???!!!

That's ok cause I sell Beef from Cattle that aren't killed, Chickens too! Guess what? All the Vegetables I sell are grown without hurting the ground cause I don't plow I just plant the seeds where the Cattle and Chicken poop!

Oh and my Honey? Well I harvest it without making the Bees mad because I have Bee's that are my friends and I asked them to just put all the honey in my bottles instead of their comb.

Lastly my Maple Syrup is one of a kind! I talk to my maple trees and they agreed to drink more water so the sun magnifies their sap thus boiling it in their Leaves all Summer and that way when I set my buckets gently on the ground in the early spring they just piss out finished Pure Maple Syrup through the holes the leaf stems left when they fell off in the fall!

Oh...and I also have some Ocean Front Property for sale in Arizona for a really good deal if you are interested...
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with any marketing technique unless it is unethical, sexually explicit or factually incorrect.

As long as there is an argument that can for a fact prove that in every case RO doesn't change the taste then it is OK to use that. Unless you can prove to me that boiling is not in fact hurting the sap it is is ok to use that.

In fact, I think it would be fair to advertise that you are not using cleaned cat litter buckets to collect the sap and infer that others do.

I am in marketing. And in the world of marketing the truth is nothing that can be defined. In fact, virtually everything you see in today's marketing is not true in the sense of what truth is that you try to teach your kids.

Marketing is psychology. It is preying on the fears and beliefs of your customers. Your customers are the prey and you are the hunter. Plain and simple.

To give an example: I had a client who makes outdoor wood boilers. He has one sales person who uses a bait and switch to reel in customers.

Do I find that unethical? Yes. Is it illegal? I doubt it. Is it working? Better than anything else that I have ever seen.

i do not think there is anything wrong with marketing the way you produce or manufacture something. i am not into degrading others ways either . i am not into organic foods but do like natural foods vs over processed. don't we all like to read made in usa or canada?is that really any different. i just had some b-grade on my homemade waffles last night that i made last year, i also have some light amber, to tell you the truth the b-grade was much better, more maple flavor better texture. today's syrup is vastly different from what was made even 100 yrs ago. not saying better, just different.old timestuff was generally darker,more distinct maple flavors, woodier if you will, smokey. i try to make the best grade i can, and the best flavor but i am not going to lay awake a night worring about how to make my syrup lighter. todays standard's are set by the gov't not the palet. i think the whole light vs dark is a bunch of crap myself, before you guys get up in arms, think about is fancy grade really any better than b-grade?? if it is legal by our gov't standards it should be up to each person to decide what they like. i don't want to here about dissolved solids in b-grade and why that makes it inferior, if it is it all should be junked then, anything less than dark amber should be thrown out.
    some guys go about marketing the wrong way, i have always thought that if you have to put down someone elses product you probably have something to hide in your own. however lets not cast stones because someone is doing it different if it is a safe product so be it.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonMcJr View Post
    What???!!!

That's ok cause I sell Beef from Cattle that aren't killed, Chickens too! Guess what? All the Vegetables I sell are grown without hurting the ground cause I don't plow I just plant the seeds where the Cattle and Chicken poop!

Oh and my Honey? Well I harvest it without making the Bees mad because I have Bee's that are my friends and I asked them to just put all the honey in my bottles instead of their comb.

Lastly my Maple Syrup is one of a kind! I talk to my maple trees and they agreed to drink more water so the sun magnifies their sap thus boiling it in their Leaves all Summer and that way when I set my buckets gently on the ground in the early spring they just piss out finished Pure Maple Syrup through the holes the leaf stems left when they fell off in the fall!

Oh...and I also have some Ocean Front Property for sale in Arizona for a really good deal if you are interested...
    I have to say I laughed outloud at this one ! Very funny !

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwich Maple Man View Post
    I have to say I laughed outloud at this one ! Very funny !
    so did we.!!
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

Another person who seems to be bragging about the old fashioned syrup posted at http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ylight+savings He claims that the lack of moths or millers swimming in the bucket detracts from the traditional flavor!

The truth is that at Farmer's Markets (where we sell) many folks are very interested in the process of making syrup and are willing to pay a premium for traditionally produced syrup providing it tastes great, just as they are to buy free range chickens, hormone free grass fed beef, etc. There is a premium market that comes with artisan products.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast