+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31314151617181920212223

Thread: Marketing Syrup as Reverse Osmosis or Pipeline Free

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    Not arguing here- just replying because I had a few free minutes and figured I'd log on. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile but he did get it to the masses, the road salt affects more than just the roads (I too wish they would stop using it!) and the Governor of New York just put a ban on plastic bags in this state starting in 2020.
    Yes, it's all frustrating.

Steve
    Exactly who or what Henry Ford was, makes my point no less salient, but I do love this website for all that it has taught me. So thanks to you and all for making me more knowledgeable.

It is also believed by many that road salt kills maples. My property shows clear and specific effects supporting that claim. That is a thread for another day.

I live by the road. Walk down the road. I see and clean all kinds of garbage that blows onto my property. I never see those plastic bags. People reuse them. I believe poor people should be helped ... but now thanks to a "State Government from New York" poor New Yorkers will have to go buy more hefty garbage bags. Sooo .... the used plastic bags go to landfills with all the other Trillion Trillion pounds of garbage. Most of which is made up in weight by broken down cars.

Meanwhile the roads are neglected .... The cars are destroyed and one destroyed car amounts to about 800,000 of those grocery store plastic bags as far as impact to the environment goes. Dr Tim is welcome to correct the mathematical specifics of my deduction but please use some good hard math if you do so.

Far more certain then maple sap flows in the springtime, kickbacks flow in politics.

I could go on but there is not enough memory on the server to this forum to tell it all.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by log cabin luke View Post
    Plus I do not see how it hurts the industry.
    Your comment makes sense...until it is taken to the extreme.

First, yes...I absolutely agree with the presumption that different producers make maple syrup with different flavors. That is the basis of contests -- oftentimes it comes down to knowing what is good tasting syrup and also knowing what is not good tasting syrup. What is less clear is the ACTUAL influence of different factors and how much they contribute to good flavor.

Returning to my reply above. Sure...no problem with anyone saying "I prefer" or "I like" my syrup (or another syrup) better than this other stuff. The problem arises when it turns into "My syrup is BETTER" than the others because of this or that. Lots of syrups have different tastes...all are interesting, and there are as many different people who LIKE a particular taste as there are different flavors of syrup. We've even found some people who seem to LIKE buddy syrup, or PREFER metabolized syrup. It is often quite regional. One of the most common we hear is "I like that smoky taste" of a wood-fired syrup. Technically that is an off-flavor, and any syrup with that could be removed from sale very easily...but some people might prefer that if that is what they are used to (which explains a good amount of preference).

The reason I don't like the BETTER approach is that it infers that another person's syrup is inferior, which may absolutely NOT be true except in the tongue of the beholder. Secondly, the BETTER approach leads to things that I really don't like, such as:

- non-RO syrup (implying syrup made with RO is inferior)
    - wood boiled
    - bucket syrup

Now maybe that doesn't seem real bad...but it leads to things like...

- "We don't use PFA in our trees"
    - "No DE added"
    - "Collected and boiled using only non-lead equipment" or "Non-detectible levels of Lead"

Now those types of things start to scare people. Believe it or not....I've seen those on labels (and believe me...when regulators see them...it ain't a good thing). So overall….advertising this way is like starting along a path on a rather slippery slope.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 05-02-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Yes, Besides know a lot of what their is to know about maple trees and syrup, part of your job is to stand up for the integrity of the industry.

I did not like it a couple years back when Crown Maple in Dover Plains had articles in the News Paper mentioning how their advanced methodology of making maple syrup made "Better" syrup.

While I make about -.25 % of my annual salary on making maple syrup I found Crowns articles unnecessarily destructive to the hard working small scale operations across the land that do make more then -.25% of their annual salary on maple syrup.

I saw a few small scale guys yap about that or almost "puke", but that is it.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.

Obviously this is old news

https://www.crownmaple.com/about-crown-maple

If I were an old school producer relying on my syrup income, I would be out saying the old style makes better syrup too.

So would just about anybody else.

Okay so I made about 400 galloons of syrup without an RO this season, which was low for us by a couple hundred galloons, but we burned all the wood we had and were happy. Probably the last year we will do it without an RO, seeing as its too much work, and my brother and I have less time every year, but the idea that an RO, vacuum pump, etc, doesn't change the taste of syrup, is kind of crazy if you ask me, sugaring is not alone in terms of an agricultural produce, in wine, cheese, in tons of other products, cooking in general, even the smallest differences in styles and regions, make huge differences in terms of marketing. BUT I do agree with Dr Tim, , its really important not to say non ro, or better, or to slander or put anyone down at all because of the long tradition and hard work that has gone into the brand of maple syrup, which we all live and work with regardless of state or style and is not owned by any on of us or one state ( although come on Vermont is just so **** good) anyway, personally I do think there is a difference, but in reality without ROs and all the other tech and new ideas throughout the years, sugaring wouldn't be spread all over the world and wouldn't be a business for us to take part in and prosper with. I send syrup to Alaska, to south korea, all over the place and do they really know or care if it was gathered in buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaskell View Post
    I send syrup to Alaska, to south korea, all over the place and do they really know or care if it was gathered in buckets.
    Agree with what you are saying about integrity of an industry. Don't slam the other guys product by saying yours is better.

However, everybody does it, from one facet or another for the same particular reason.

We no longer live in a capitalistic society. We live in a "Fly by Dollar" society. Which is make money anyway you can short of totally and fully unethical. And we slide over that rule perpetually. On all fronts.

I have made money on Boeing Stock the past few weeks. Like it was money on the table to be taken away. Legally. Perhaps I was sliding over the rule. Most people would not admit to it if they made the money.

No matter how many taps you have, you should be maple sugaring for the love of the game. If it makes you a living then great or you just plain love it then great. If not then go to one of the other six million places where you can just take money off the table a heck of a lot easier.

Flat pans make great maple syrup, and that is a fact.

The world class technology makes great maple syrup, and that is a fact.

The sociological problem here is that we live in world where the big guy tries to eat the small guy and the small guy fights back.

It is a pervasive problem in all societies in all parts of the world.

But so long as the big guy tries to eat the small guy or is perceived as eating the small guy, the small guy will fight back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31314151617181920212223