+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canning Jars

Fresh boiled syrup is practically sterile. Nothing can live for long at those high temps. Anything that leads to spoilage in your syrup will be introduced in the bottling process so keeping all equipment extremely clean is imperative. That includes, ladles, funnels, whatever.

Sterilizing jars/lids won't hurt but may not be necessary. No one is sterilizing those plastic jugs or bottle caps that a lot of syrup gets sold in. With syrup, the enemy is yeast and molds.Those are killed at temps in the 150's. If you start with really clean containers, keep your equipment clean, pack at the right density and at the right packing temp, and fill the bottles to capacity, you should get good seals and syrup that will last without spoiling.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

We have "canned" syrup for several years as many customers like it for the rustic feel. I have nice lables and some raffia and it really catches the eye, that beautiful syrup in those jars. Do everything the same as if you were canning anything else, then I always turn them over after filling.

I started heating my jars in the oven (~ 200 degrees). Washing and rinsing them thoroughly first, then placing in the oven, and holding them there until I'm ready to use them. The temperature guarantees killing any bacteria that might be present, but the dry heat makes sure that I don't have any moisture or condensation present when I pour in the syrup. The hot bottles help with sealing.

Started doing this with all my canning and it works out nicely. (Hate dropping bottles when trying to get them out of the boiling water........)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12