+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning Jars

Default Canning Jars

For those who use canning/mason jars, do you boil water and put the lids in or is it enough to just put lids on right away and put on side to make the seal happen?

Heat the syrup to at least 180 deg then put in jars and turn them upside down to sterilize the lids.
    Dont heat the syrup past 200 or it may cause more sugar sand to come out.
    You could preheat the jars and lids if that made you feel better.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

never had a problem with them sealing rite out of the box.i put the lids and bands on as soon as i fill the jar,invert for 15 seconds and set them up rite to cool,seldom ever have one not seal

Thanks guys! Normally I would boil some water and put lids in for a bit and then put on the jars but since I will be doing the jaring in a little shed I built I don't have to worry too much about getting a heat source and a pot to boil the lids, just seeing what works. Thanks again!!

I run the jars through a sterilization cycle on the dishwasher, and the lids go into a pan of hot (not boiling) water until I fill the jars. Once filled, lids and bands go on, the the jars are set aside and not moved until cooled and sealed. Pretty much the same procedure we use for canning anything that does not go in a pressure cooker.

I would boil all lids and bands before putting on the jars. Same as canning veggies or tomatoes, gotta sterilize the lids as well as the jars.
    2011, 1st time. 8 taps, turkey fryer. 3 quarts syrup
    2012, 25? taps, homemade barrel stove, steam pan. hoping 3 to 5 gallons

I use jars and lightly boil the lids. I use the bands as is and the jars go through the dishwasher. I then stage them in a canning rack in a pot of hot water. Fill to within 1/4", lid and bands go on and tighten snugly. Invert for 5 minutes and then upright to cool. Works like a charm. No leaks, no runs, no errors.
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

This is only my second year making maple syrup (if the weather ever straightens out here in Western Wisconsin) but I have canned vegetables before. Last year I only made 3 quarts so I just kept the syrup in my refrigerator, this year I'm planning too can in smaller jars. I bought a used coffee urn so I was going to heat the syrup with that & then give it a quick water bath like sg5054 suggested along with sterilizing the lids. My question is, "why should I invert the jars & does my plan sound good to the experts here at MapleTrader.com"?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    This is only my second year making maple syrup (if the weather ever straightens out here in Western Wisconsin) but I have canned vegetables before. Last year I only made 3 quarts so I just kept the syrup in my refrigerator, this year I'm planning too can in smaller jars. I bought a used coffee urn so I was going to heat the syrup with that & then give it a quick water bath like sg5054 suggested along with sterilizing the lids. My question is, "why should I invert the jars & does my plan sound good to the experts here at MapleTrader.com"?
    I do exactly what sg5054 says but I think you misunderstood them. The water bath is to heat the jars. The jarred syrup does not need one. The jars are inverted to heat sterilize the lids.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

I boil everything including lids. Some say not to boil lids because it ruins the seal, but I have never had a problem with lids sealing after boiling. It's just another step in ensuring that the syrup or other canned product I worked so hard to make doesn't spoil. Its quick and cheap insurance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast