+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap in dry line

Default Sap in dry line

I have noticed that I have a fairly steady stream of sap (very small stream but steady) from my dry line. The amount is small compared to my wet line. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what would cause this? Is it an indication that my system is so tight that the dry line is actually sucking sap up to it from the wet line below it? What would cause this and how do I fix it (More boosters? Introduce some air? ) or is it nothing to be concerned about? This is my first year with vacuum so learning as I go.

Maybe the wet line couldn't keep up? Wet line froze? If it is not much I wouldn't worry about it thats one of the reasons for having dry line. If you continue to get it sap in the dry line its probably that your wet line can't keep up. What kind of booster do you have vertical or horizontal? You could install another wet line in the booster rather than installing another booster.

Do you have good slope on your lines? I have this problem in the swamp I tap, since it's so flat. I think it's also worse cause I don't use booster /manifolds there, just the two tee with jumper technique.

Otherwise, yeah your wetline must be too small. Do your lateral mains join the manifold high up closer to the dry line?
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I have very little slope. I have 1-1/4 inch lines (both wet and dry) for around 500 taps (currently, planning for more in future) so I don't think capacity is an issue. I am running 27 inches of vacuum. I currently use the two tee jumper for connecting main lines. Because my area is long and narrow ( no trees more than 50 ft from the line - and most much closer than that) most laterals go directly to the wet line. Based on what you guys are telling me my guess is I may need to connect the wet and dry lines more frequently.

So your not using actual boosters in that case maybe you are just making it to easy for the sap to go into the wet line. Have you using the whip method? There are some pictures of it on hear. It basically makes the line whip up and back to the dry line so its harder for sap to go into it. Sap being heavier passes right on by. I think people use Y fittings to so the angle is pointing up and back.

There's no way 1 1/4 is too small for 500 taps. You've got low spots that are backing up / freezing. Are you using black pipe or blue maple? If you're using blue maple go along the pipe shining a flashlight through from the back, you can see sap when its there, find the low spots, add more tie backs.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

I agree with Mapleack. You've likely got a low spot or several in the wet line. The more sap in the line the more sag it will develop. The vacuum level will be higher in the dry line as there is less resistance (no sap). The higher vacuum level with sap backed up a bit will cause some sap to be pulled up into the dry line. Not a big issue.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

These are all issues I've dealt with. This year, I went in and added tiebacks every 15' or so, supertight. Makes a big difference. And I elevated the far end of the dry line another 2', making it 2.5' or more higher than the wet line at that end. This gives me much better slope, hence sap that gets in it should run into the releaser a lot better. So far, it's better. But what was also suggested to me, which I'm still doing on the other two lines that still need "fixing", is turn off the dry line and install shutoffs between the two lines where they connect. It does seem to keep the sap moving better, instead of the dry line competing for the sap. I just wish I'd run 1 1/4" wet line, too, so your in better shape than me to go to the single line for now, if you choose.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

We do have the blue plastic lines so I will try the flashlight thing when I can. Right now there is at least 3 feet of water under the lines and it is still rising so it will be a few days before I can do that.

+ Reply to Thread