+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hit last years total yet I have

I actually have less sap than this time last year, but with the forecast this weekend should bring me up to close to last year. Ran pretty good yesterday with around 20 gallons from the 50+ taps. Some trees haven't woken up yet I am expecting this season will run a bit longer than last year's one week so no worries that I can't beat my 4 gallon total from last year. First boil may be this weekend if I have time, otherwise I see some late night boils in my future... love boiling at night !
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Quote Originally Posted by Pweideman View Post
    Does the sugar level change as the season progresses or is it constant?l
    As I understand it, it fluctuates. Tends to go down toward the end of the season. Also tends to go down over long sap runs like those times when it drips all day and night and sometimes beyond. Toward the end of those kinds of runs sugar content decreases.

Now if it would only start running good here. I'll take any sugar content I can get! Glad to hear some are doing well already. Hope everyone has a great season and beats last years yields
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Paul- I've posted this link before but you might be interested in this older study from UVM where the variation in sugar content of sugar maples is studied over several years and within years, Look for the section on variations within a single season.

http://vip2.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sapsuga...tvariation.pdf

As for your silver maples I can't tell you. Someone who taps them and tests the sap would be better able to give you info. I think most research has focused on sugar maple and I don't have silvers so never looked into them much. The common wisdom from what I know is that they are less sweet than sugars though there are some claims to super sweet silvers offered for sale that supposedly run in the 4% range.

With last nights 18 degree low and today amazing spike of 55, I drew 3/4 GPT today and matched last years miserable total already. AND last year I had twice as many taps at this time since the flow was so lousy! What a much more enjoyable year. The sugar content has come up, I'm making nice DA, and if the long range forecast holds we should be sugaring up here for another four weeks. Hope everyone else is having a good season as well.

Doc
    Wood-fired, home-made evaporator
    Glenlivet-fired operator

I already passed last years total with just one tap on one tree. I tapped 4 trees last year and never got a drop of sap. I can't make syrup anymore due to health and work but we use the sap to make coffee and drinks with until I retire someday and have time again.
    I have one hard maple beside my silver maples and the silvers test almost twice the sugar content. I think it's also due to the slivers being twice as tall and several times bigger around also.
    Last edited by KenWP; 03-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12