+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Itchin To Get Going...I Think

Default Itchin To Get Going...I Think

Thought I'd give an update for Peru, ME. I tapped a 14" maple for a test southeast facing that gets sun most of the day on Sunday. This tree is always a "good runner" and it ran a bit Sunday then the wind and clouds shut it down today not much for sap. I think were close but not enough sun and warmth to thaw the trees, not until were in the 38 plus degree days more frequently with sun. I'm watching the weather but probably tap the weekend of the 23rd unless it warms like last year.

My Hobby??? I think?
    2010 -120 Taps Gravity
    2011 - 332 Taps Gravity
    2012 - 350 Gravity and a loving wife
    Homemade 2X6 Evaporator

Good to know. Thanks for sharing the info on your test tree. It's good to know we are not missing much yet. I am in Richmond Maine and am feeling jumpy about the warm weather lately. My family will probably tap this weekend or shortly after.
    2011-18 taps, 3 campfires in the driveway. Pots,pans and an old kitchen sink. 5 gallons syrup. Good year. Funny looks from neighbors.
    2012 more taps. Oil tank evap. w/sink and 2x4 flat pan.
    2013 running our first tubes 40-60 taps.

Thanks for sharing your test with us! I'm in southern NH and keep watching the weather forecast - hoping to tap soon. The latest snow hasn't begun to melt off of my backyard arch yet.

Im going to start this weekend here. It will take me the weekend to get all tapped in, of course wading around in hip deep snow in places will slow me down. The next few weeks are looking good, probly wont have any real good runs but atleast I will be all set when the decide to let go. Wishing everbody the best of luck this season with big runs and sweet sap. Josh
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

I am in Turner and I also put in two test taps on Sunday the 10th. It has not dripped much here eather. I will tap the 23rd.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Update from the mid-coast. We put in about 20 more taps today. We tapped trees that get pretty good sun exposure. Almost all were running as soon as we drilled. We checked some buckets that were already out. Some were running well, but some of the more shaded trees still seem to be a bit frozen. We plan to boil again this weekend.
    good luck to all of you.
    Stephen

To relieve the itch, I will head to the woods and and set the dump tanks, pumps, and plumbing. Will clean my gravity tubbing and position the five gallon buckets. Will tap another test tree as well. Looks like next week will be the official full blown tap date for the entire bush. My bush doesn't get full sun till about 10:30 AM, so it is always a slow start for me. Gitty up go!!!

I've been running some new lines drilling holes in trees since Sunday the 10th. Not much sap till yesterday. Some places were running quite nicely by the afternoon. The snow pack has deminished alot as we got rain here on Monday. By yesterday I left my snow shoes in the truck.
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

All 95 taps in yesterday & running beautifully. West Rockport, Maine.

I was going to wait till next weekend, but the Wife thinks we should tap this weekend. I hate it when she says I TOLD YOU SO. So looks like this week end may be it for me.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast