+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New wisconsin mandatory reporting

Default New wisconsin mandatory reporting

Just a heads up to all Wisconsinites that sell ANY syrup. The state has new requirements. The old rule of if you just sold from home or farm stands is out. You now must register no matter what. You must have a clean, separate processing room other than your home kitchen, 3 compartment sink. There is no inspection or fee if sales are under $5000, but you may not purchase any sap either.
    http://datcp.wi.gov/Food/Honey_and_M...rup/index.aspx
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

One has just got to wonder where this is coming from….a three hole sink? What about potable water, drainage, sanitation? The list could go on. I just don't get it.You just have to wonder how they could make these regulations without more specifics. Like Potable Water….drainage….hot water…..The three hole sink thing is riduculous! What do they want in the three holes, no mention of that. I work in a school kitchen, am Level 3 certified (the top) for the SNA, have ServSafe certification, and am HACCP trained. What gives? I make my syrup in my sugar house, finish outside on a stainless turkey fryer, then head into my home kitchen that has been cleaned from stem to stern, sanitized anywhere I will be working and bottle off of a stainless coffee urn, wash and boil my bottles and all equipment involved in bottling. Now they say that I can't use my home kitchen for bottling? Forgetaboutit!
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

It seems to me that somebody does not want the small scale producer the ability to legally sell their syrup.

and how sad is that Sweet?
    10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

Watch out for the maple gustapo!

Pretty sad GC, pretty sad.
    I wonder how these rules were developed?

I think some of this is coming from the big guys in the state that don't want the smaller guys being able to sell any here. Well soon it will be like moonshine for the small guys when it come to selling. At this rate wont be selling any of my syrup in the state.

eau claire sugar bush between ladysmith & ojibwa

Did you people read where it says no inspection if sales are under $5,000. As far as three sinks one for washing one for disinfecting and one for rinsing not a big deal and even easier an NSF rated dish washer I've got one bought it at sears. This law is all about food safety. Not a big deal !

Flying squirrel, this is what I am referring to...You don’t need a license if:

You extract, package and sell only your own maple syrup from your own trees, and
    You don’t process the maple syrup or produce any food products other than maple syrup or concentrated sap, and
    Your gross receipts from maple syrup and concentrated sap do not exceed $5,000 during the year.
    Even if you don’t need a license, you do need to follow the other regulations discussed here.

and then….What kind of facilities and equipment do I need?
    Whether or not you need a license, if you’re going to sell your maple syrup, you need a separate room dedicated to your food business with commercial-grade equipment. This means you can’t extract, process, or bottle your honey in the same kitchen where you cook your family meals, or in any room that’s part of your normal living space. Because maple syrup is not a potentially hazardous food, we’re not looking for operating-room sterility, but you do need to have equipment in good repair and maintain good sanitation in the place where you handle maple syrup. Some specifics:

The room must have washable floors, walls, and ceilings.
    You must have adequate light so you can see well enough to keep things sanitary.
    The room must be properly ventilated to prevent steam and condensation and to keep exhaust air from blowing onto the maple syrup.
    All the doors and windows must to be well-screened so birds, insects and rodents can’t enter.
    You must have a three-compartment sink or NSF-approved dishwasher for washing your equipment and utensils. (NSF is a non-profit, non-government organization that develops standards and certifies products for public health).
    Equipment such as extractors, stoves, sinks, tables, shelving and storage containers must be easily cleanable and in good repair.
    Utensils like pans, bowls, knives and spoons must be smooth, impervious, and easily cleaned. Just about all utensils manufactured these days meet this requirement.
    You must keep your facilities and equipment clean and in good repair.
    Maple syrup that you sell has to be in new containers.
    10th year in….
    14x14 sugar shack
    Sap Dog Chloe

eau claire sugar bush between ladysmith & ojibwa

Yep read it , no different than a farmer having a separate sterile room for the bulk tank. I'm just sick of hearing its all the big guy BS they started the same way we did small. Love this site but sick of the bickering.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast