+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Time

Default My First Time

My first year tapping trees, or should I say tree, my neighbors to be exact. I got about 10 gals and boiled inside since I have no evaporator. It took quite a while but i perservered and came out with 3 pints. Very tasty and can't wait for more!! OH!! I'm in Hazlet NJ! My First Syrup.jpg
    Last edited by First timer; 03-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Wow! how did you get 3 pints from 10 gal. of sap.It takes me about 40 to get a gallon of syrup.

Well, like I said, it's my first time doing this so maybe I didn't boil it down far enough. It is a little thin but it tastes great! I got the temp up to 219dg then stopped. Should I have kept going?

7.1 degrees above the boiling point of water on syrup making day.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Quote Originally Posted by First timer View Post
    Well, like I said, it's my first time doing this so maybe I didn't boil it down far enough. It is a little thin but it tastes great! I got the temp up to 219dg then stopped. Should I have kept going?

No sounds like you did it right. Actually I read that wrong I was thinking 3 quarts. I used the temperature as a gauge last year seemed to work well for me too. I bought a hydrometer for this year. Good luck with the rest of your season! It gets adicting as it seems you already know! Best of luck!

Make sure the syrup sheets it should drop off a strainer in chunks type thing. My first time was a learning experience I thought I had syrup but I had very very sweet sap.
    Homemade 46 by 26 wood boiler with two polished stainless pans
    Home made sugar shack with Caputo Rooftop
    15 gallon pre-heater tank with a circulating copper pipe stack heater.
    two 45 gallon storage tanks with transfer pumps
    150 taps (buckets)
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    Two big reds with bucket holders to collect the sap

Good wife to assist me

Getting sweeter one drop at a time.

Thanks for the advice and kind words! I did have a hydrometer I was going to use but my mother in law didn't see it and BANG! right on the floor broken! I was so close to finishing too!! OH WELL! I guess thats why they say to always buy them in 2's! Lesson learned and my new hydrometer is on the way!! I think i may have one more batch in my future for this year then i will be looking forward to next year!! Thanks again to all who replied and keep on sugaring!!

Good Job! That looks like some Yummy Liquid Gold!
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

possibly. You should have tested for the boiling point of water on your thermometer at the time you made syrup and added at least 7.1F to that reading. Some references cite 7.5 which probably brings it closer to the higher brix VT standard. What you really want to see is some sheeting from a spoon and not just dripping like water. Hard to describe unless you've seen it. 3 pints syrup to 10 gallons sap seems like a little too much yield to me. I'd expect more like 2 pints if that. But yield depends on the sugar content of your sap so it's possible if your sap was high in sugar. But if you didn't test with a hydrometer for correct density then I suggest keeping that syrup refrigerated. If it's light, it will spoil sooner or later as there won't be enough sugar in it to preserve it. That's the main reason syrup density is measured rather than temperature. Too light and you'll get spoilage in storage. Too thick and you get sugar crystals like rock candy. But that said, It sure looks beautiful Welcome to your new addiction!
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

+ Reply to Thread