+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: sugaring in iowa

we went out tonight and the sap is flowing. It was 30 degress but the sun was shining bright. We ended up with about 50 gallons of sap. We are planning to try and cook down tomorrow after work.

I boiled down about 104 gallons of sap down to a little less than 2 gallons of syrup. I tap some box elder which don't have the sugar content. Tbear it sounds like you have gotten you're grandson addicted to the maple syruping. It looks like the sap is going to get really slow or not at all according to the weather. Hopefully its not done. Thanks for the advice on pan depth.

Man it's chilly! All my buckets and bags are sitting there frozen! We mighnt be pulling sap well into April if this keeps up. I guess it's a good thing, my new evap. is suppose to be done this week. Bnb, i just got a flat 2x4 with a preheater made up my old one was 2x3 with no preheater. I thought about the dividers but I've never really understood the things to be honest. I'm hoping with the preheater, lil bigger pan and forced air that I can bump up my boil rate quite abit. If all else fails I'll just fire up both of them. My forcast is looking pretty cold until next week sometime. Got a feeling when the weather does break were gonna have trouble keeping up! God speed Iowa tappers!

Boy are we slow and cold. We are getting some good snow again today. Boiled down 65 gallons that we collected since Wednesday. Just left the sweet in the pan as it is to be cold until Wednesday. They are calling for nice temps starting again on Wed. Hope it does not warm up too fast as we still need to make a lot of syrup to cover all the preorders!!!

The sap tap got turned on yesterday. Collected 80 gallons on 112 taps. They are calling for lows in the mid 40's by end of the week. Hope they are wrong on that. We need another couple of weeks if possible.

Well this should be the day! Pulled about 80 gal. of ice in my buckets yesterday. By noon it was starting to slow drip a few taps. Forcast looks good here. Time to turn on the sap!

We clooected 70 gallons yesterday on 112 taps. We also cooked down the 80 gallons from Monday and added it the 65 gallons from the weekend. Ended up witha 4 gallons of syrup which equals 36 galloon of sap for a gallon of syrup. that is the best we have ever done. Granted we have a lot more hards tapped this year but the sugar content seems to be running high. Good luck all- Bill

Awesome- 36:1 is outstanding!!

Well my high hopes are starting to dwindle. Pulled 90 gal. yesterday for a grand total of 160 so far. Most years I pull more then that on one good day. Really thought the last two days would have been great. Many trees were but probably half were dry. Worried that maybe they started to heal up but even cleaning up the hole again with the bit did nothing. The forcast is looking like another 4to5 days of good weather then summer will be here. On a good note I did think my suger level was way up also. I'm starting to wonder if I'm feeling the effect of last years drought now!

As Phill Robertson would say "nobody happy happy happy" Hope everyone else is doing better.
    Frank

We are having the same problem in our area. We only collected 50 gallon on friday and 20 gallon saturday. They are calling for a couple of cold nights Monday and Tuesday and I hope that gets them flowing again. The silvers that we have just have not done anything all year and we were also thinking it was from the drought. We are at 715 gallon of sap with 18.5 gallon of syrup. Our goal was to do 30 gallon so I think we are going to come up short. What is happening down in the S.E. corner of the state? Frank where are you located? Good Luck to all I hope we have another week left!!! Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast