+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: sugaring in iowa

I have collected about 140 gallons so far. I have been boiling every day. It sure would be nice having a faster evaporator. I haven't been out to collect today, yesterday it didn't flow very well. Maybe it was the wind. I could use a break for a couple of days. I have to go back to work. Work is always getting in the way of fun. I'm glad to here everyone is doing well. upmep

Boiled outside Monday and Tuesday, the wind was a DRAG! Hard to keep a decent boil going. Brought in the nearup to finish on the stove today and ended up with 2 1/2+ gallons of Golden! Go figure, two day batch boil, cloudy sap due to high temps, boil it some more on the stove and end up with Golden? I think it's a first for me. Not much sugar sand either. It was in the teens here last night, high today in the upper thirties, not counting on much sap but will check later today. My dear sweet wife has given her permission for me to take a nap! Life is GOOD! Ted

Update from Story County - kind of late for me to be getting an update on - have been swamped - we put taps out on 2-20 started with around 100 we are up to 180 with a few more to get out - we have collected right at 500 gallon on sap and have made 13gallon of syrup - we have been cold last few days so gave us a chance to clean up the sugar shack and catch our breath - anticipating a big run starting tomorrow thru the weekend then temps not to drop below freezing for a while -

Good Luck to all - great to get the updates!!!

That was a long weekend! Started Friday and ended yesterday. My season is over. Ended up with just under 11 gallons. How'd the rest of you Iowans end up? Or maybe you're still going? Making sugar with the last gallon of last years syrup. Gotta go! Ted

Ted you got the long weekend right - we had record sap collection - we are at 29 gallons made - we had ice in the cans last night so hopeful that the hard maples will drip today - all of our silvers are done as they burst on Sunday -

Good Luck to all Bill

I finished boiling on the evaporator on Monday and brought the near finished product in and put in the fridge. I took it out last night and started to boil down and it looks like maple tree snot. You can't even get it to stay on a spoon. If you put it on a pancake I'm sure it would slide off. I thought by keeping it in the refrigerator it would keep for a week till I had time to finish it. Have you guys ever had this? I don't know if I should dump it or try and finish it. Otherwise I have about 4 gallons I have finished that is ok. Its the best year I have ever had even with the stringy syrup. It sounds like tbear and everyone else has done well too. upmep

Upmep I'm glade to hear you had a productive season. I wonder if the snotty stuff is what they refer to as "ropey". You might post a question under the "all about syrup" tab.

Congrats on the 29 gals. Bnb! Dang man! That's a BUNCH!

I wonder if IowaSap got his bags in time?

If it does what you described, I would say that you made ropey syrup. Keep it separate from the rest. I wouldn't use it for table syrup but you can use it for cooking such as barbecue sauce. I've done that twice in the last 20 years. I think it comes from a bacteria because of warm temps and dirty tanks and containers.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

Well, gentlemen, I just sold my first pint of syrup! The first pint EVER! Now all I have to do is sit back and watch the money roll in. Yeah right. Exciting anyway! Ted

Sorry been busy busy. Looks like I was late to the game this year. Tapped 7 days made 10 gal. Can't complain to much. As for the snot sap. I had it one season when it got warm gross stuff. Dog couldn't lick out of a bucket!!! I'd throw it or give it to the in laws!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast