+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: sugaring in iowa

We are right at 2/3 of the syrup we made a year ago - the silvers are all done and we have pulled all those taps - we have about 85 hards we are going to try and continue to collect - we have right at 20 gallons made so far -

We sell pints for $10 and quarts for $18 -

Only collected 15 to 20 gals. tonight on 65 taps. Sigh. Thanks for the prices. Ted

Hey guys I just wanted to chim in here and tell ya that your prices are not far of from us over here on the east coast. I sell 1/2 pints for 8 pints for 12 and quarts for 20. Glass is a different story to many sizes and shapes to keep tack. Anyway just wanted to say you guys are on track for prices.....the Iowa thing cought my eye, my girlfriend is from Zearing and she was all excited to see people from back home making syrup. Good luck with the rest of your season.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

Hey Boondocker! The wife of a buddy of mine is from Maine! She's all atwitter as my buddy just started sugaring this year. She still has that strange opinion that Maine syrup is better, but we're working on her! hehehe! Good to hear from you and tell your wife,"Hi!" from Iowa! Ted

Boondocker I go to church in Zearing! I live 18 miles north of there. Ask her if she had a teacher named Jack Roberts. He taught there forever.

First post here from NC Iowa south of Clear Lake. I just started with 12 taps this year on silver maples. it stalled out last week for a few days but today I came home and every gallon was full 8-/ got 12 gallons with who knows how much I lost due to overflowing jugs.

Thank you for the prices. I was thinking about $10 for a half pint, but maybe that's too much. When I ran my cost through excel with how much propane I used and the cost of each bottle, I came up with $4.40 per bottle, although I know it's a bit high with how I'm sourcing my bottles ($3 each... mostly because of shipping cost)

Quote Originally Posted by boondocker View Post
    Hey guys I just wanted to chim in here and tell ya that your prices are not far of from us over here on the east coast. I sell 1/2 pints for 8 pints for 12 and quarts for 20. Glass is a different story to many sizes and shapes to keep tack. Anyway just wanted to say you guys are on track for prices.....the Iowa thing cought my eye, my girlfriend is from Zearing and she was all excited to see people from back home making syrup. Good luck with the rest of your season.
    Boondocker - we are just south of Nevada 10 miles from Zearing - if you are ever in this part of the country send us a note and come see us Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSap View Post
    Boondocker I go to church in Zearing! I live 18 miles north of there. Ask her if she had a teacher named Jack Roberts. He taught there forever.
    IowaSap - same goes for you if you want to come down and see our set up - we are not to far from each other Bill

We are having our best week of the season so far - we have been collecting about 70 gallons a day from our hards - avg about 1 gallon a day - we are at 23 gallons made - we should be good through the weekend with temps

Good luck all Bill

Quote Originally Posted by iowafarmboy View Post
    First post here from NC Iowa south of Clear Lake. I just started with 12 taps this year on silver maples. it stalled out last week for a few days but today I came home and every gallon was full 8-/ got 12 gallons with who knows how much I lost due to overflowing jugs.

Thank you for the prices. I was thinking about $10 for a half pint, but maybe that's too much. When I ran my cost through excel with how much propane I used and the cost of each bottle, I came up with $4.40 per bottle, although I know it's a bit high with how I'm sourcing my bottles ($3 each... mostly because of shipping cost)
    Welcome to the addiction - Our silvers leafed out last Sunday so they were very short this season - Silvers are very unpredictable in what they give - I would suggest getting away from the propane and set up a cement block arch with some buffet pans. Any restaurant supply house will have them Good luck - let us know how you do Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast