+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21213141516171819202122

Thread: sugaring in iowa

Good luck up there PKerns.It's a shame to watch it run here and not be able to boil it.My last boil was Monday night and it started off ok with the sweet in the pan and then all of a sudden the nasty smell of dirty socks filled the sugarhouse.

Collected a little (15 gallons) this morning and did a test boil. We're done here. Pulling buckets tomorrow. Ended up with just under 10.5 gallons, 3 of which graded GOLDEN. Pretty, but I still l ike the AMBER best. How's everyone else doing? Ted

Pulled 245 over the weekend. Everything is still crystal clear here!

That's what surprised us, the sap was clear and looked/tasted/smelled good. Test boil revealed a "woody" smell to the steam and the syrup had an unpleasant taste/aftertaste. We dumped the sap we had collected and pulled taps. Good luck! Ted

Hey guys

Sorry so late getting an update on here - We tapped 2-9-2017 we put out 220 taps. We ended up pulling the silvers the week of 2-20 as they had budded out. We are still collecting on 77 hard maples. We are right at 24 gallon made for the year. Yesterday was our best day we collected 170 gallon. We are hopeful that we get some cold weather again to extend the season. Good to see what everyone is doing.
    Bill

I pulled my taps last weekend and wanted to put an update on. I ended up with about 3 gallons of syrup and I think I had around 55 taps maybe. It did well then it would get warm. It looks like it will barely be above freezing for the next few days. I wonder if it will start flowing after this again? The buds have swelled on the silver maples though. It would be interesting to tap some trees I haven't tapped yet to see what happens. The trouble is getting time to do everything. It has been a different year though hasn't it. Looking forward to seeing how everyone else has finished up. I'm not ready to give up yet but the trees decide in the end. upmep

13.5 gal bottled. Got another 4 ish to finish up. Still have bags hanging. May get a big run after this snow. Well see!

We're ready to go, we have a new 2x5 flat (batch) pan and corsair arch from Smoky Lake, a new sugar shack, wood split and stacked, buckets , spiles and storgae tanks on standby, just waiting on the weather. Ted

We will add a Tapping Iowa 2018 thread! Great to see maple sugaring in corn country!
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

Thanks so much! It's a shorter season here but every bit as much fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21213141516171819202122