+ Reply to Thread

Thread: February Journal

Default February Journal

11 below when we left the shack this morning. Didn't feel it though, had colder days back in January. That February sun does wonders when its out and not windy. Another great day in the woods. Made good progress on lines and drops. 4 more mainlines to go. Tapping has begun behind us. Should be waiting for mother nature by the 3rd week of February.

I got everything in the woods ready to tap last weekend. Also last weekend I finished wiring the blower on my new W F Mason arch and did a test boil. All I can say about that is WOW! I've never seen my flue pan boil as good as it did.

I had a freeze up on my RO back in January. Today I replaced the broken pre-filter housing and ran the RO. The pumps all ran and built pressure with no leaks. I'll have to wait for sap to see if the membrane passes sugar or not. I do have a new membrane to install if it does pass sugar.

I have a couple of little things to finish in the sugar house and am planning to tap next weekend.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Got the pulley system in place to raise and lower steam hoods. Pump is going in this week and the loggers are making great progress on our other 40.IMG_0112.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0117.JPGIMG_0119.JPGIMG_0120.jpg
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Very impressive expansion.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread