+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: sugaring in iowa

It looks by the weather forecast its about time to start tapping. I have Friday off work and might start then. It looks like late next week it is supposed to be very warm. I hope it doesn't make things go too fast. In this you take what nature gives you. That's what makes it interesting. I hope everyone has a great year. Looking forward to hearing how everyone does.

Well we were able to get 204 taps put out Friday thru Sunday - we are done tapping but very concerned with the temps for the next 8 days. We collected about 60 gallons on Sunday. We did get down to 27 last night so hoping for a big run today. It is not to drop below freezing for the next 8 nights. Bill

Put in little over a 100 today. Most every one was running hard. Never tapped in a T-shirt before!

I'm about the middle of the state Montour, IA I tapped 1st time ever last Sunday. Maybe to late, but watching the weather we were below freezing until last Saturday.
    I checked yesterday afternoon (Monday)and with only 6 trees (All Sugar Maples) tap, 2 of the trees I had 2 taps in, total of 8 taps.
    I collected 10 Gallons in 2 days.
    Tuesday morning the low was 32 not sure we are going to have many more days below 32

Just wondering what everybody going to do with these temps. Keep going or stop.

Other question is storage of sap. I have it 5 gallon food grade buckets in garage and was going to boil down this Sunday with furture temps will it go bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I started tapping last Friday and Saturday. I have maybe 60 gallons of sap from about 40 taps. Its starting to tail off already . It is getting too warm too quick though. I think us maple syrup people are the only ones who wish winter would hold on a little longer. As for the storage, I don't think I would wait till Sunday to boil. They say it will spoil like milk. I have been keeping mine outside in the shed in a redneck refrigerator. I have filled a bunch of icebags with snow from some drifts that are left and putting these on the buckets of sap and I put a tarp over that. I took off work tomorrow to boil as much as I can. Its nice to see how everyone is doing.

Hi iowathumper, and welcome to the forum! Upmep is spot on. If you can't keep the sap cold it can go bad. It's pretty ugly when that happens. Also, even if it doesn't go bad the microbs will lower your sugar content. Try to avoid keeping it around too long. As for the weather and what to do? My taps are in and I'll keep going for as long as the trees allow! Again, welcome. And good luck! Ted

Well we have had really good sap flows until yesterday- only collected 70 gallons on 204 taps - we are up to 6-1/2 gallons of syrup with another 100 gallons to get cooked down today -
    we plan to leave the taps in until the trees turn buddy - we are to get cold again Saturday night so hopes that we regenerate them. Bill

Default How do we know it gone bad?

I checked mine this morning, the container is very cold to the touch.
    I removed the lid from the oldest bucket and it looks o.k. And does not smell any different then when I first put it in there.
    I'll try and stick a thermometer in there to see what the temperature is.

Thumper. You'll know its to warm when it starts to yellow. Next step is cloudy. Then it goes to some strange moldy jelly stage! My dog couldn't even lick it out of a bucket. Just slid right off his tongue!! You know you went to far when the dog can't eat it! I've cooked slightly yellow sap with no problems. Everything else i pour out.

Thumper. Also you may smell a fermented smell. Just charge more for that batch!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast