+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple syrup prices

Default Maple syrup prices

How do you price the syrup you sell? I have benn researching retail prices and it averages $20 a pint or $160 a gallon. I will be selling mostly at farmers markets and my website.

New to sugaring 2013
    100 taps in silver maples
    43 roadside taps and
    57 in the woods.
    Plastic leader taps, plastic bags
    and a homemade PVC cover,
    Total cost per tap $1.74
    Homemade block arch
    with 4 stainless pans

I would do a google search "Maple Syrup (your zip code) and act like you're shopping for it. $160 a Gallon seems very high.

One site I am looking at right now after my search says $30 for a Half Gallon and $10 for a Pint. 8 oz Glass Bottle $11.50

Another says 1 Pint Glass $9 and a Quart $16...

Finally yet another says $51 a Gallon, $27.50 1/2 Gallon, $16.25 Quart, $10 a Pint

Or look here for those around you and compare...

http://www.mi-maplesyrup.com/directory/producers.htm

I always charge a Dollar or two more than the average cause I'm small, so I have limited quanities and MY Syrup tastes the BEST!

If they don't wanna pay then they can go buy the stuff at the Grocery Store..
    Last edited by DonMcJr; 02-28-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

$160 a gallon!!!!! I wanna sell my syrup there!!....I sell a half pint for 6, pint for 11, quart for 21, half gallon for 36, and gallon for 65. But like Dom said look around at the local places and see what there selling it for
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

We're just north of you. Our prices are on our web site at www.battelsyrup.weebly.com. I'd say they're on the low side because this is what my in-laws are comfortable charging. Our customers from the metro Detroit area are used to paying much more at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
    300 trees • 700 taps • sugaring these woods since 1882
    6th generation drinks sap right from the buckets (fortunately most of the woods is tubed!)

happy to be raising homegrown kids in the family farmhouse at the maple woods • married into maple and brought my marketing background, learning production

Twitter http://twitter.com/BattelSyrup
    Facebook http://companies.to/syrup/
    Maple Syrup Saturday open house third Saturday in March

Quote Originally Posted by spencer11 View Post
    $160 a gallon!!!!! I wanna sell my syrup there!!....I sell a half pint for 6, pint for 11, quart for 21, half gallon for 36, and gallon for 65. But like Dom said look around at the local places and see what there selling it for
    I sell mostly at Farmers Markets too... The best thing to do is see what the local market has to offer and don't price yourself out of the market... Try to get all you can but being greedy can hurt you for months to come... Bad publicity can stick with you for a LONG time...
    I have noticed that people who buy products at markets will come to you if you sell primarily Maple products compared to someone else who has a wide range of produce to offer... they would rather buy from someone who specializes in a certain thing and are will to pay for it but be careful going too high above the market average... It's best if you can get into a market that only you have a certain product to limit competition…
    Just remember we can ASK any price we want to for syrup but we have to be able to actually make sales on a regular basis to make it worth anyone’s while…
    Lets get back on track for 2013 !
    2012 was a Bad year...
    1379 taps in 2011...
    550+ taps in 2010...
    A 05' 2500HD with a 20' trailer and (3) 275 gallon totes for collecting...
    2x6 Leader my grand parents made syrup on before I was born...
    I couldn't do it without all my friends & family help...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maple...5712358?ref=hl

Big ED

Default Syrup prices

Wow, quite a range of different prices. Surprising. I attend farmers markets all year. It's how I make my living. I sell all over SE Michigan and travel to festivals all over the state in the warmer months. I price my products based on what shoppers are used to paying. I store check Kroger and Meijer and use a Google search as a cross reference. I make organic body care and have over 35 products that range in price from entry level, mid level and higher end products that I would sell at Whole Foods and not Kroger. The maple syrup I am collecting stated out just for fun and now I will have too much for our family. I will only sell it at farmers markets if I am the only sugar guy there because it is not my main business. I am thinking $0.71 oz seems pretty competive and discount volume purchases by 10%.

Paul

New to sugaring 2013
    43 roadside taps and
    57 in the woods.
    Total cost per tap $1.74
    Homemade block arch
    with 4 stainless pans

I price mine slightly on the high side, so if someone thinks it to much I can sell it to them for less so they think they got a deal but its the same amount they would pay somewhere else, and if they don't think it's over priced I make more profit
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Default Prices

Agreed Spencer, my philosophy as well. I offer sales sometimes just to jump start a little income and always offer discounts when the customer asks. They are usually thinking about buying for a friend or for gifts.

Hey, my mothers maiden name was Carney. From Missouri.

New to sugaring 2013
    43 roadside taps and
    57 in the woods.
    Total cost per tap $1.74
    Homemade block arch
    with 4 stainless pans

+ Reply to Thread