+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A strange sense of wealth

Default A strange sense of wealth

Nothing makes me feel more wealthy this time of year than a 2 gallon bag of sap. Funny how excited we can get over a few gallons of basically water. Yesterday was a good sap run in Maine. I went to collect from our barrel in the woods, which is hooked up to 40 of our first taps on tubes. What a great thing to hear and see the sap pouring into the barrel in two steady streams instead of the slow drip we are used to with taps and bags/buckets. I wish I had more time to just stand around and enjoy it.
    2011-18 taps, 3 campfires in the driveway. Pots,pans and an old kitchen sink. 5 gallons syrup. Good year. Funny looks from neighbors.
    2012 more taps. Oil tank evap. w/sink and 2x4 flat pan.
    2013 running our first tubes 40-60 taps.

You must be more southerly than me. Out of 68 taps yesterday I managed 22ish gallons. That's my best day of the season so far. Been tapped about 1week.

I averaged about 1 gallon a tap.
    2011-18 taps, 3 campfires in the driveway. Pots,pans and an old kitchen sink. 5 gallons syrup. Good year. Funny looks from neighbors.
    2012 more taps. Oil tank evap. w/sink and 2x4 flat pan.
    2013 running our first tubes 40-60 taps.

sometimes it is the little simple things we take for granted and sometimes they , when you "spot" one, can make you smile even if no one is around to notice. inner peace helps us make it through this hetic world we spin on.
    when you sit in the woods and "realize" that there is a whole world of things oblivous to our society and worries, can put life back in perspective.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

I walked my lines in the dark last night with a flashlight doing vacuum leak patrol. It was so peaceful I could just feel the stress melting away.
    Leader 3x8 Patriot raised flue
    800 taps on vacuum
    100 buckets around the yard
    A lot of help to make it fun

+ Reply to Thread