+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaned pan and have off taste

Default Cleaned pan and have off taste

Hello all,

First time posting...sorry it is after our first burned flue pan !

I cleaned the pan, just the tops of the flue pan burned. I cleaned it successfully with muriatic acid and then dumped 2 extra large boxes of baking soda in the pan and triple rinsed the pan. I did not take the pan off the arch , but filled and emptied, filled and emptied etc.

There are small bits of black that just didn't get out, not alot mind you.

So we started boiling again and the partially cooked syrup has a slightly off taste.

Should I have gotten every last bit of the flakes out of the arch? Could it be residue?

Thanks for any responses!

I've never heard of using Muratic acid to clean the pan. I would think thats causing an off flavor I would say you need to clean it again with something like baking soda and maybe try boiling just water in the pan and rinse again.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I agree, I would clean again. I clean with white vinegar. Heat water in the pan and scrub into the flues a little to get out any residue from the Acid and Baking soda. Then rinse again. Good luck

Do I need to take the pan off the arch?

If there are black flecks left in the pan could they cause the problem?

I agree with jeff. You didn't say what your pan is made of. If stainless then muriatic acid was the wrong thing to use and from what I just read should never be used on SS because it can cause corrosion and black staining that looks like scorching. Most sources I googled said muriatic acid should never be used on stainless at all. Many also suggest never even using bleach because it too can corrode SS.

This site gives some advice on removing muriatic acid stains from stainless.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4922724_remo...teel-sink.html

Hope this helps. Next time use something more suited for stainless like vinegar and a warm or even hot soak, bar keepers friend or what some people use here borrowed from the dairy industry- milk stone remover. I'd start with the least harsh solution that does the job first and work up.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

No need to take pans off. I suggest heating the cleaning/rinse solutions for better effect which would be hard to do if pans were off.

Might also help to use a wet vac to suck out last of the solution between washes/rinses
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by happy thoughts View Post
    Hope this helps. Next time use something more suited for stainless like vinegar and a warm or even hot soak, bar keepers friend or what some people use here borrowed from the dairy industry- milk stone remover. I'd start with the least harsh solution that does the job first and work up.
    I am guessing that you do not use the milk stone remover straight from the bottle. What dilution do you use? Do you heat the pan and to what temperature? How long do you let it soak?

When I use milk stone remover, I use the amount on the label. I mix it with water and then heat it to just barely over what I can hold my hand into. Then I let it set about 30 minutes, brushing lightly each few minutes. Be sure to wash your hands well if you test by sticking your finger in the hot solution, I use a neoprene glove.
    If I have a bad burn, I alternate between milkstone remover and white vinegar, but most often it is good with just the first application.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread