+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55 Gallon plastic tank sap storage set-ups?

Default 55 Gallon plastic tank sap storage set-ups?

I just picked up a couple of food grade 55 gallon drums to use together as a head tank. I've done a search on the site for ideas, but couldn't find a thread with pics and descriptions of what others have rigged up.

At the moment I figure on laying the two drums on their sides, putting an opening in the top(for cleaning and filling) and connecting the two with a "Y" joint ultimately leading to my pre-heater.

I'd be keen to hear if others have done something similar and how they went about it. Pics would be a bonus.

Thanks.
    100 taps/buckets
    18"X60" D&G

I don't have pics yet but I have a similar setup for collecting sap.

I cut a hole in the side of the drum the size of a five gallon bucket. Fits snug and I can just put the lid on to keep crap out.

One thing to consider. You might want to find a way to connect your preheated feed line on the bottom of the barrels to make it easier to clean them. The bung holes aren't close enough to the edge to drain all the way.
    Last edited by psparr; 02-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

We all have different situations. I use a 30 gallon trailer fresh water tank for my feed tank. It was modified so I can clean the inside of the tank at the end of the season. For storage tanks I use 55 gallon plastic drums - when adding sap to a storage drum I use cloths pins and a cotton cloth over the drum opening to filter out sap debris. I use a submersible pump to transfer the sap from the storage barrels to my feed tank during a boil. I have Family members that haul up sap for me to boil too - So if they arrive with say 300 gallons of sap - I have a temporary place to store it till it gets boiled. I Like the drums - At the end of the season I clean them up and dry and store them in the Sugar Shack till the next season. Backyarders gotta be flexible - LOL -----Mike-----

useful info - thx a lot.

I'll use the idea of putting a pail in the top with a cover. I have a couple used square bakery buckets that are a little smaller than the 5 gallon round ones. The hole ought to be a little easier to cut as well.

Also, I think I will use the bungs(since they provide such a nice tight fitting), but ensure the barrels are on a little bit of a slope to get the most sap out of them.

Once I have it set up in a few weeks, I'll post some pics. Don't expect to get to my property in West QC until mid March.
    100 taps/buckets
    18"X60" D&G

I have three 45 gallon barrels for collection and storage. One on its side with a square 4 gallon bucket cut into the side for filtering and filling with sap. I have it strapped to a utility trailer and pull with an average. I have put a pvc shut off valve on the small bung. I gravity feed to one of two upright barrels with square 4gallon buckets in the tops and pvc valves in the bottoms. I have them on a high point and plan to gravity feed to a coil or preheater (I am not sure which one yet). Let hope to pack snow around the two storage barrels to hold sap for as long as possible as I can only boil on weekends.

+ Reply to Thread