+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gladwin County

Hybrid View

Good looking syrup! You don't have to throw out cloudy sap...Dark syrup doesn't look as dark after you filter it and it tastes good too. The only sap you should throw out is stinky sap! If you try to make all lighter Syrup you're gonna drive yourself crazy it gets darker as the season progresses...
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

Quote Originally Posted by DonMcJr View Post
    Good looking syrup! You don't have to throw out cloudy sap...Dark syrup doesn't look as dark after you filter it and it tastes good too. The only sap you should throw out is stinky sap! If you try to make all lighter Syrup you're gonna drive yourself crazy it gets darker as the season progresses...
    Thanks for the advice Don. I did make quite a bit of dark amber, and I personally like it, because it has such a strong maple flavor. I only tossed the cloudy sap because I was running out of room to store it!!! I felt bad, but I wanted to concentrate on getting the fresh stuff processed. I really need a bigger arch. Last year we hardly got any sap because of the strange weather, so this year we tapped all the trees that were big enough, and we have sap coming out of our ears. I actually sold some raw sap to some friends. I hope things slow down so I can get caught up on my boiling.
    2012 - 14 PVC taps. Milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets. Propane burner and stainless brew kettle. 1-1/2 gallons of syrup
    2013 - 40 Smart Spouts, 3 on 5 gallon buckets, 35 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch, 2 steam table pans. 200 Gallons Collected, 150 oz. processed.
    2014 - 24 Smart Spouts. 15 on tubes going to 5 gallon buckets, 9 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch. 2 steam table pans. Collected 100 gallons, processed 20 pints!
    2015 - So far set 13 taps. No flow yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Run Forest Run! View Post
    J&T that finished syrup is picture perfect! I also love the mood shot of the moon through the trees. Hopefully you aren't freezing to death boiling so late into the night. It's pretty nippy here tonight so I'm glad I finished boiling today at 5:45. While it's only just below freezing, the dampness goes right through your bones tonight. It snowed on and off the entire time I was boiling today.

My batch of near syrup is now filtered and will be getting its final boil tomorrow and then filtered again and bottled. It will be the biggest single batch I've ever made. Couldn't be happier.

Have a great night Jason!
    Great work Karen keep it up. The weather here was really warm today, but it's supposed to get down to 22 tonight! I have the day off tomorrow, so Friday and Saturday I will be boiling steady!
    2012 - 14 PVC taps. Milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets. Propane burner and stainless brew kettle. 1-1/2 gallons of syrup
    2013 - 40 Smart Spouts, 3 on 5 gallon buckets, 35 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch, 2 steam table pans. 200 Gallons Collected, 150 oz. processed.
    2014 - 24 Smart Spouts. 15 on tubes going to 5 gallon buckets, 9 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch. 2 steam table pans. Collected 100 gallons, processed 20 pints!
    2015 - So far set 13 taps. No flow yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234