+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Rowley

Bottled 2 more gallons tonight. That was after losing a 1/2 gallon or so to a boil over in the kitchen. (Wife not pleased, but I was going to upset her one way or another.) I already have 70 gallons of sap in the tanks for next boil. Let's see how long this holds up. I am note sure I will make it to 10 gallons, but 8 gallons might be realistic.

Sam

I dumped about 75 gallons into the tank...this may be it for my season
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Nothing today, but the end of the week looks like it could be a decent run.

Syrup was darker this time, but sap is still looking clear. Hopefully another full week here before trees start to bud.

Anyone else expecting another week or two?

Sam

Temps dropped below freezing last night and it looks like we will have temps in the 40's this afternoon with some sun witht he same pattern setting up for the next 3 or 4 days. Hopefully this will give us at least 1 more good run. I am expecting to have 130 + gallons to boil on Saturday so I'd better get to work cutting up some pallets. I'm going to need a lot of them.

Sam

tomorrow is logging day to try to finish one, possibly two more boils....I may be too tired to fire
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Still not much of a run since the weather cooled down. If you told me warm temps would have been harder to come by than below freezing nights I would not have believed you.

Sam
    Last edited by sams64; 03-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Boiled about 100 gallons of sap from this week and ended up with a little over 2 gallons of very dark syrup. Weather looks like we should have another decent week and then I think I'll be done.

Sam

I tap in Gloucester; only two. By the looks of the weather forcast, I agree that we probably have another week.

The weather looks like it woudl be good to get one more week in. After making 9.5 gallons this year out of 30 taps i am tired and headed out of town next weekend so my season has ended. This is the most syrup I have produced by far. Next year I'm jumping to someplace between 50 and 75 taps. Now I have to decie if I will expand capacity by going to a bigger arch with drop flues or keep my arch and add RO.

So far I have been using or giving away all of my syrup. If we I expand as plan some of the finished goods will get sold. I just need to figure out what the bets outlet is. I am considering just setting up my daughters with a little road side stand and have them sell for a few weekends and see what happens. The other options is to look at local retails outlets such as teh bakery where people mught grab a pint at the counter when they are doing their shopping.

Sam

I still have not tapped. Based on the weather as forecast today I am thinking that I will tap on Wednesday or Thursday. Probably go for 40 taps all buckets this year.

Where are other Essex County guys at? Have you tapped yet? Have you had many good runs? etc..

I'm feeling a little off my game this year. Its been very cold with the exception of a few days and I'm not sure if waiting to tap was the right idea or not.

Sam

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast