+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Rowley

well, the barrel is set up and I just need to have some welding for the homemade tubing tool in order to cut in the drops. I'm mulling tapping early on the gravity line as it looks like the weather will be cooperative...I see the boys over the state line have started tapping....this would be the earliest I've ever tapped.....what are others in the area thinking?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

I'm thinking of a similar rig on some of my trees, except that they will drain away from where I need to go, so i need to figure out how to get it back up hill. I've been watching CL for used ATV's, but, hoping not to have to go that route. Even if I have to hump it up hill to my evap, at least I am not walking all over with my 5 gallon pails.

I am also building a sugar shack, but, seeing as I am still working on the deck, I am most likely boiling outside again this year. Maybe it will teach me not to procrastinate, but, again none of the other lessons have taught me yet, so why would this.

Sam

My plan is to slap chains on my tractor and drag a sled with a 35 gallon tank on it up the driveway and over to the holding tank for pumping..

Plan B would be a used ATV.

Plan C would be load the buckets into the truck to get 'em up the hill

Tapped in Haverhill....9 buckets and 20 lines out..the drip was pretty stead and miracle of miracles, only my first taphole leaked....I must have accidentally done something right.

However, all attempts to build my own tubing tool have been laughable failures so I have bitten the bullet and ordered one. The problem was not with the welder, who merely followed my dyslexic instructions. I do not know why I had such a hard time with this, but we've invested way too much time in it.

I anticipate adding another 20-25 drops to my 3/16 and possibly 3-4 more buckets.

I doubt I will have 100 gallons by Sunday for sweetening the pan.

Now I'm antsy waiting for Bascoms to ship my tool so I can put my drops in. Would have been quicker for me to drive and pick it up

Morning,
    This is my first year trying a run at this. I made an evaporator out of 55 gallon drum with 2 pans. Tapped 5 maples in my yard this week, only 1 of them is running so far. I have about 5 gallons collected in the fridge, probably going to boil it down today and see what I get. How long can I leave the taps in the trees if they are not running? Will the holes scab over or anything if we get a cold spell and the trees stop running? Like I said, really new at this. I did some reading and have half an idea of what I need to do. Like most things, I'll figure it out. Thanks

o, abandon all hope NOW

The taps will stay productive until the trees bud. Your 5 gallons, depending on the sugar content, will produce 1/2 to 1 quart. The rule of thumb is 44:1 sap:syrup ratio. Freezing is good.

Welcome to the madness.

by the way, got the tubing tool, put in 19 drops on the 3/16, and watched pne of the columns work its way down the hill to my collection barrel....I'm pretty jazzed.
    Last edited by eustis22; 02-06-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    o, abandon all hope NOW

The taps will stay productive until the trees bud. Your 5 gallons, depending on the sugar content, will produce 1/2 to 1 quart. The rule of thumb is 44:1 sap:syrup ratio. Freezing is good.

Welcome to the madness.

by the way, got the tubing tool, put in 19 drops on the 3/16, and watched pne of the columns work its way down the hill to my collection barrel....I'm pretty jazzed.
    Morning,
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up with a little over half a quart of syrup out of the 4 gallons or so of sap I had (not a full 5 gallon bucket). For my first time and not screwing up too bad, I'll take it. Didn't take too long with my home made job either. Hopefully I can get a good stockpile of sap next time so I can run all day. I have 1 sugar tapped the rest are red maples. When the weather is good, they should all produce a gallon or more of sap from each tap right? I have 2 taps in each tree, they are pretty big maples.
    Thanks again. Good Luck!

BFD5, I've had really big sugars give 5-6 gal per tap, per day, on the peak flow days, but only a gal or two per day most of the time.
    Rochdale, Central Mass.
    Zero taps for 2016.
    Still have plenty of syrup from last year.
    6.72 kW solar array, and on our second Nissan Leaf all electric car.

well, looks like we have a freeze coming on for the next week so taps will run slow if at all....my collection barrel feels pretty heavy and needs to be emptied but I think I will store in 5 gal buckets vs the holding tank to make it easier to thaw out.

I'm really tickled over the tubing results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast